Is the United Kingdom more conservative or liberal?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

As a whole I would say more conservative, given the recent Brexit vote and general election results which returned a majority for the Conservative Party.

But our political system is further to the left than in the US. So the Conservatives are more left-wing than the Republicans. 

There are some parts of the UK that are very left-wing though, like Liverpool, and pretty much all of Scotland. 

• 1 month ago

The conservative party have won the most general elections, having said that many conservatives are with a small C. Most people are somewhere in the middle, too left is seen as daft and too right is seen as thick and aggressive, mostly. The Labour party won with Tony Blair because he moved it more to the centre. I would describe the UK as a centrist country mostly, extreme left and right parties don't win elections. The liberal democrats were getting more MP's under Paddy Ashdown and Charles Kennedy, Nick Clegg ruined it with the coalition nobody liked.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Well as a 41 year old Brit I calculate 28 years of my life ( plus five more to come ) have been under Conservative rule .So I would say majority Conservative ( sensible economics hold sway )

• 1 month ago

At the moment it is more Conservative. Large Conservative majority for the ruling party. The Liberals lost their leader in the General Election.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Lôn
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Conservative...the Tories have just wone a landslide election victory. Hopefully the lefties will be out fro at least a decade.

• Luke
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Very conservative

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Really depends on your understanding of the words conservative or liberal and what they mean to you and compared to where...if you are comparing conservatives in the US to conservatives in the UK they mean very different things.

Politics in Britain are right ( conservative ) centre( liberal) and left ( labour)....the Government are Tory (conservative) with a huge majority. Yet British conservative are not far right wing like in the US, the Northern Irish DUP (conservative) are more akin to US (conservative) ......... so right/left are the main politics, liberal ( center) have not been in power for decades and only since in a coalition.........so reality is liberals are a non party in the UK.........

• 1 month ago

More conservative or liberal than?

• 1 month ago

I am assuming you are talking about politics.  The UK would be far more "liberal" than the US, but it does have a strong conservative element ranging from (the equivalent) of the Democrat party which is right wing and the left of the Republican Party. The UK does have some fascists as bad as the ultra right wing of the Republican Party which is ultra right wing with many fascists.

• 1 month ago

Currently slightly more conservative than liberal but these things swing back and forth.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.