poppy asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 9 months ago

I’m 21, my boyfriend is 39?

I’m at uni, he works in London.

My family know but none of my friends do... I feel like I’m living a double life. 

But I love him so much, I can’t bare the thought of living without him. He is truly my best friend... we are so alike, he makes me laugh, we talk for hours on end. 

But if we are in public I feel the judgy stares of the people around us. 

Or is that all in my head? How bad does it look if you were to see that?

Eighteen years difference. I married a man seventeen years older than I am. It has worked out just fine. I think the stares you mention are probably more in your head.  Sounds like you have a great gig going. However, I should mention, that if you are considering marriage, things can change as you grow older. There is the question of whether to have children or not. Plus, one of you will have more energy and outside interests than the other one. Then, there is the question of health , which often declines as we age, as well as sexual drive. If you aren't concerned now about any of these issues, you may well be later on.  

• Mystic

Who cares? It isn't anyone's business. You are both legal adults. If you get along well and are happy, then go for it. It doesn't matter what others think. You are in charge of your own life and can make your own decisions. If he is good to you and makes you happy, why not stay with him? Don't let a few troublemakers cause issues for you.

• Chanel

If anybody is giving you dodgy looks then they have no lives of their own. Don't let anybody get to you.

But I went out with a guy who was 15 years older and it did not work out.

Think about the future. As a person gets older they develop health problems but if you love them then you do not mind. Love conquers all they say.

I would probably think you are his daughter unless you were holding hands or kissing. If I knew, I would think that dude is 1 lucky son of a gun or I feel sorry for that girl because he isn't going to be able to handle her sexually in 20 years or so unless he is a sex maniac.

Lol what the hell???

Well I guess you just became an adult so i guess its ok

Thanks for telling us.

it is just in your head.   You feel like you look too young for a man whose age is 39?   39 doesnt look OLD.   39 looks matured and secured.   better get married soon if you love him.