Do I really need a liquid cooler in a PC?

If I'm not overclocking the CPU, do I really need a liquid cooler for it, or will an air cooler do?

I would say Air Cooler is much better for a PC.

• Steven

Liquid cooling is the best way to cool a CPU because water transfers heat much more efficiently than air. Liquid cooling also makes your PC run quieter because you won't have fans constantly running at a high RPM. However, liquid cooling a PC can also be dangerous if water leaks onto hardware. 

Air Cooler is best for your system..

Both Liquid & Air Cooler are better for PC.

• David

Air cooler will do fine, unless you are very sensitive to noise. But even the liquid cooler will require a fan of some kind. So there's no way to go totally silent. Best solution for cooling is to find an air cooler with a relatively quiet fan. Usually, these fans are large, and the heatsinks they attach to are also large. It is the best compromise to try to increase reliability and keep build price low, without ending up with a really loud computer.

I have a few AIO cooler (liquid coolers) and a couple PC's with a custom waterloop. I generally don't recommend AIO coolers to people unless they're okay with increased fan noise for the sake of some more cooling power..... on top of other risks like the pump dying or the very, very small chance of a leak. I'm in the process of sending a Corsair H100i v2 back to the manufacturer because the pump died. 

No you don't need an AIO cooler, but you will need to pay attention to the the TDP of the aircooler you select, you'll need to figure out how much power your CPU actually consumes. The TDP figures they give to these processors has become inaccurate and a lie in some cases. You don't want to pair a Cryorig H7 or Cooler Master 212 up with a Core i7-9700k or the i9-9900k. 

Also, modern processors are a lot tougher to cool thanks to these smaller nodes that pack more transistors into a tighter area, which creates more heat density. 

Large, twin-tower aircoolers like the Noctua D15, Deep Cool Assassin III, Be Quiet Dark rock Pro, and the Cryorig R1 Ultimate have a 250w TDP and these can compete with any 280mm or 240mm AIO cooler. These are more than enough for the expensive processors like the 9900k or 3950x.  Many processors can be run at stock speeds with value coolers like the Scythe Mugen 5, Scythe FUMA 2, or the Thermalright Macho series coolers.

Air cooler is fine.

a good air cooler will be fine and if you're a gamer, you want a top rated one or else a mid level liquid cooler

Friend there's all kinds of fancy gadgets you can buy to put on your computer. I personally prefer the little gadget that works on the pietler effect where are you apply voltage two two dissimilar metals and one plate gets hot and the other plate gets cold and a plate that gets hot has a fan to blow away the air. And then you run a little wire to the external power supply. I mean really how much sense does it make to put a massive power supply inside a computer that generates a whole crapload of heat and then use two little plastic fans to draw away the heat that your power supply it's sending to your CPU it makes no sense whatsoever. A miniature air conditioner makes far more sense.

No it isn't necessary. It looks cool but not required for normal PC use.

No, you don't need a liquid cooler.