Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSTDs · 1 month ago

Has anyone ever gotten a blood test for chlamydia or gonorrhoea before?

I'm in Germany right now, and for some reason my doctor wanted to test my blood.... I've been tested twice before but with urine/ cervical swab samples.... is a blood test normal? are the results just as accurate? My doctor honestly seemed really incompetent and I'm freaking out a little bit

The clinical history is important as to testing. Serology means you are testing the blood for antibodies. Too many problems associated with testing blood which makes it quite limited in applicability and limited in interpretation when one gets the results. 

"Testing for chlamydia antibodies is not useful to diagnose local epithelial infections of the lower genital tract, because antibodies are detectable with a delay of several weeks, antibody titers may be low, and many serologic test are not able to differentiate antibodies against different chlamydia species. On the other hand, serology may be helpful in the diagnosis of chronic and invasive infections (PID, LGV, SARA). In most of these cases the bacteria are undetectable in anogenital swabs or urine, and serologic data may be used to evaluate causative chlamydia infection. As persistent CT infections and complications of ascending infections are usually associated with a positive antibody response, negative serology most likely rules out the involvement of chlamydia. On the other hand, positive serology represents no definite proof of associated chlamydia infection."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC50395...

I just read that a blood test is possible but seldom.

I'm sure lots of people have been tested.