Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

Ladies, would you be put off by a guy if he made it a goal of his to have dinner or hang out with....?

one female friend every few weeks? He's a single guy who wants to feel more comfortable around girls so he came up with the goal to have dinner or hang out with a female friend every other week, or make a new female friend every month?

For example, last night he hung out with a new female friend (only knows her for 1 year) at the pool hall, and he just set up a dinner with an old female friend for next Friday. Then in a few weeks, he's going to see a movie with a female coworker friend of his.

I think he's come up with a very sensible idea.

Please bear in mind that in the lifetime of many of us here on Yahoo today, young women used to have three or four boyfriends at a time, as there was far less rush to get into a sexual relationship than there is now.

There was no secret about it. The boys/young men knew she was dating other men, and there was no reason why the men couldn't be dating more than one woman at the same time. That way everyone gained wider experience of different kinds of people, and formed a clearer idea of what qualities were important when looking for commitment.

Obviously once a relationship DID become serious, you would drop the others and tell them why.

Absolutely normal, and less pressure than these days.

• Lili

That wouldn't bother me.  If it were the same female friend all the time, I might have some concerns, but even then, having dinner or hanging out just a couple times a month wouldn't seem to me to be a big issue.

But if you've got a real girlfriend in your life, you should invite her along to these dinners or movies. There would be no reason to exclude her.

I really don't see much wrong with it as long as it's known up front they're just friends and he wants to become more comfortable with women.  If he's making serious moves on these ladies then there's a problem.

so what it's just her personal matter

Humans are not a number or a quest, the guy is mental

If he includes you ok. Maybe. But if not run like hell. You should only feel like this if you two are dating each other. If not he can do what he wants. And so can you.

• Ocimom

So what?  He's just dating and he doesn't want commitment right now.  Nothing wrong with it at all.  He's wise to just make things casual.  Sooner or later he will want a 2nd or 3rd date with the same one - then he's on his way to building a relationship.

I don't see anything wrong with this. I have no idea why you're questioning another person's social activities.

I "date" any number of men all the time! No one questions me about it, and they shouldn't. It's none of their business. Besides, i don't go around announcing my personal, social activities

• Nathan

No. If he's single, why does it matter? If you were in a relationship then I'd suggest asking him to stop doing that as much because he No longer needs to find a partner. But you aren't, and he clearly wants a relationship

• Kelly

In this case I would be, merely based on the fact it looks like he's making more plans with other people.

My husband and I both have friends of the opposite sex but existing, long term friendships most before we knew each other.  And both of us know each others friends.

If this was a person I was just friends with or not in a committed relationship with I wouldn't care what they did with their time.