My mum and dad keep pestering to take my 11 week old on walks without me....?

I'm a breastfeeding mum and my parents keep pestering and hinting at taking my 11 wk old son in day trips and overnight stays without me.... I'm getting a bit sick of it.... How do they not understand that he can't be away from the breast for more than an hour on a good day! How do I stop the pestering and snide comments? 

cant u pump some milk out for them? good gawd do u realize how many parents WISHED they had people in their kids life that wanted to be involved. stop being greedy with the kid!

• edward

Breast pump. My wife took a weekend at the spa when our son was 3 weeks old just to take a little break from everything and she got pumped for that. Or do you not like the pumping or is it the sound it makes?

You are the parent here, therefore you need to set the ground rules when it comes to your son!

I think your parents mean well, they are excited that they have a new grand-child and want to spend as much time with him as they can. However, it does seem they are being over-zealous here, and are going about it the wrong way, and they need to be a lot more respectful of his young age and you being a new parent yourself.

You could sit them down and say to them nicely "I get your excited about him and I do want you to spend as much time with him as possible, but right now, he is too young for overnight stays. The both of you are always welcome to come visit, and we will come over to your place as much as we can, and yes, when he's a bit older, he can spend the night with you" Let them know you aren't excluding them, but also, that boundaries need to be set and respected as well!

• Edna

Speaking from my own experience being the parent of a young baby, I seriously doubt that your experienced parents are contemplating taking your 11-week-old baby on any day trips or overnight stays; or that they even WANT to.  

Your baby can't be away from the breast for more than an hour on a good day. Really???  If he has to be fed every hour, he's going to be a fat little pig, isn't he?

• Tri-Harder

Yes, it is.  So is eating every hour.  There's all kinds of normal.  Eating every hour is not going to be make a fat little big out of a breastfed baby.

"I'm glad you are so excited about spending time with him, but until we are done nursing, he can't be away from me that long."

Repeat.

Repeat.Repeat.

So they're your parents, who you know, and you expect the internet at large to have a better idea than yourself? Because?

• y

Pumps, aren't there such things as pumps and storage for just such events?

You cannot seriously be this uneducated (or can you)?  There's something called a breast pump which would allow for such a thing.  You pump and freeze milk ahead of time so the baby can be fed by others.   It's really no big deal.

• Lili

I don't think it's appropriate for anyone to expect this woman to pump just so her parents can take the baby off on an overnight trip. An 11-week-old can't enjoy an overnight trip anyway.  Why do the grandparents need to do this with such a small baby?  They don't.

• Lili

You can't make them stop; all you can do is ignore.  Just say firmly, "That won't be happening until he's weaned," and the next time they bring it up, say (again very firmly), "We've already discussed this" and change the subject.  Ignore the snide remarks. Don't even bother to respond.

I really have trouble understanding why parents would think such a small infant can be taken off on an all-day or overnight trip.  Did your mother not breastfeed? That's the only explanation I can think of: sheer ignorance.

• Mark

Have you ever heard of "storing breast milk in a bottle in the fridge"?  But 11 weeks is too young, anyway.  Tell them THAT.