Why won't my car pass smog?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Read the pages of report they hand you.  There is the answer.  Now hire a mechanic to fix it.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Take it to a smog station & have it tested. They'll tell you. Otherwise it's just guessing.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You need an emissions tune up which sounds expensive. Could be an engine problem, a catalytic converter, turn signal calibration...? Who knows- you didn't give us any detail.

• Anon
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

Could be Missing/broke parts BUT still passes  the test. Loose  gas cap throws a fail code even thou E. is Ok. 

• ron h
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The only guess I'll make is loose or missing gas tank cap (some recent Fords don't have caps).

• ...Show all comments
    • ron h
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Garbage?  No. You put the nozzle in the filler neck and start the gas pump.    BTW, I meant that was the only solution I would offer.  I DID NOT mean it was the only possible cause.  There are MANY possible causes and other guesses me are are not helpful.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

A year make and model would be nice for a start.  Is the CEL on?  That is an automatic failure.  How about giving us the results of the smog test?

• 1 month ago

Because something is wrong. Your smog test failure shows what part of emissions is out of spec. Tell us what part of the test failed and we have a better chance helping you fix it. Even an OBD2 trouble code would be helpful. 

• ...Show all comments
    • The Devil
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Get someone to help you read the test result. A visual failure will tell the cause, such as part missing or modified. There only needs to be one problem for a failure.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

You need to go have a garage check that issue out for you. It could be out of time a little, filter bad, air pump not working, bad gas or a leek in the exhaust system. OR none of the abrove> This is why you have a garage to check it for you or the locale autoparts store may do it for free.  HOW WOULD WE EVEN HAVE A CUE< PAL!

• Barry
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Insufficient details about the car.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Because........

• 1 month ago

Look at the report.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.