Why won't my car pass smog?

Read the pages of report they hand you.  There is the answer.  Now hire a mechanic to fix it.

Take it to a smog station & have it tested. They'll tell you. Otherwise it's just guessing.

You need an emissions tune up which sounds expensive. Could be an engine problem, a catalytic converter, turn signal calibration...? Who knows- you didn't give us any detail.

• Anon

Could be Missing/broke parts BUT still passes  the test. Loose  gas cap throws a fail code even thou E. is Ok. 

• ron h

The only guess I'll make is loose or missing gas tank cap (some recent Fords don't have caps).

• ron h

Garbage?  No. You put the nozzle in the filler neck and start the gas pump.    BTW, I meant that was the only solution I would offer.  I DID NOT mean it was the only possible cause.  There are MANY possible causes and other guesses me are are not helpful.

A year make and model would be nice for a start.  Is the CEL on?  That is an automatic failure.  How about giving us the results of the smog test?

Because something is wrong. Your smog test failure shows what part of emissions is out of spec. Tell us what part of the test failed and we have a better chance helping you fix it. Even an OBD2 trouble code would be helpful. 

• The Devil

Get someone to help you read the test result. A visual failure will tell the cause, such as part missing or modified. There only needs to be one problem for a failure.

• zipper

You need to go have a garage check that issue out for you. It could be out of time a little, filter bad, air pump not working, bad gas or a leek in the exhaust system. OR none of the abrove> This is why you have a garage to check it for you or the locale autoparts store may do it for free.  HOW WOULD WE EVEN HAVE A CUE< PAL!

• Barry

Insufficient details about the car.

Because........

Look at the report.