RAY asked in HealthOptical · 9 months ago

What does add +2.25 mean on my eye prescription?

The plus means you need lenses that magnify. This is usually used for people who are nearsighted.  Or people who have presbyopia, from getting old-- which is the same thing.

The2.25, indicates the degree of magnification. This would make you moderately nearsighted. From what I know. Ha e the same thing myself 

It may mean add this to whatever prescription. So you need bifocals.  In other words add to the lower half of lens. But why not ask the person that fills the prescription? That 

That is for reading glasses. If you can see perfect for distance but not good up close, then use the reading glasses when needed. If you have a - number as well then you will need bifocals. Sometimes people will get bifocals to wear all the time even if they don't need them for distance, but they wont have to worry about carrying around reading glasses. You can get bifocals with no prescription for distance and have your close prescription for reading. And really once you are over +2 it is better to go that route anyways.

It means that you need some kind of bifocal. They could have lines or not. The power in the bifocal should have the power that you would get by adding 2.25 to the distance prescription for that eye. For example, if your distance correction in one eye is -7.00, the power in the bifocal will be -7.00+2.25=-4.75. If the power at distance is -1.00, the bifocal will be -1.00+2.25=1.25. if it is zero, the power in the bifocal will be +2.25 if it is +5.00, it will be 5.00+2.25=7.25.

It means you're quite short sighted.

• Bernd

“Added” to the full prescription for reading glasses.

It means to add that much magnification to your lenses. Here is a short video explaining all those numbers on your eye prescription.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoJRcXPZgB4

Youtube thumbnail

• Mark

It means "buy some reading glasses that are +2.25". (I know this from my own history and from the doctor who prescribed me contacts.)