Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 month ago

Where was better to live in the 1950s: UK or USA?

• Mr. P

I would say the UK because the wind in the US in the 50's was too radioactive for me.

All depend on your ability. For intellectual, U.S. was better.

Must be the UK everyone who lived in 1950s America was a ********. Narcissist all of them.

Uk had a lot of food & COMFORT as a KING!.

Uh....you don't know much about history, do you? It was boom time in the US, while in the UK, they were rebuilding London from all the bombings.

• August

you were lucky that America didn't get blitz 

Id say life was better in the USA than in Britain, Britain was still recovering from the 2nd world war, The USA didnt have to recover from material damage like the UK so was able to recover to a affluent society .

• sydney19

I would say life was better in the UK because we had seen the Hardships and we loved our recovery to a affluent society

Neither. I lived through the 1950s in the U.K. and I would not like to relive that decade. 

At least we got to grips with mind numbing boredom though. It has stood me in good stead.

I wouldn’t live in the USA in any decade. I like culture,

• Jack H

Well, the Americans were terrified of having an atomic bomb dropped on them, all being taught to duck n cover for protection and, they didn't have the Austin A35 either, so, Britain by a long way...

• Jack H

Fine motor cars. T Bird couldn't turn corners and used 3 gallons per mile, wallowed like a whale too, accelerated well, didn't actually stop though

Uk because its known as great Britain. Name another nation called great.

• David1 month agoReport

I think you will find the great was only put there to separate it from all the other little islands about this island nation, another words the greater island in size compared to all the surrounding islands.

Without a doubt USA, Korean War notwithstanding. Britain was still recovering from the effects of aerial bombing in WW2 and rebuilding a shattered economy, with many people still on National Service and some rationing in force during the early part of the 50s. Upside was that the welfare state had been founded and the NHS put in place, although it was all rather less than had been promised and the Labour Government would be out of office until the mid 60s.