Steven
Lv 4
Steven asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Is it safe to eat raw/undercooked flour?

I've made some wraps for the first time mixing flour, water milk and baking powder the only problem was it wasent cooked in the middle I still ate it. But is it safe? 

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

It is safe but rather unpleasant.

• 1 month ago

Generally its not safe to eat uncooked, because it does contain bacteria that are harmful to the body! You would be looking at stomach pains, nausea, and diarherra as well!

I'm confused about your question though, you say you mixed the flour and cooked it, yet you are saying the middle isn't cooked? I think you will need to clarify this! I'm going to assume you did in fact cook it, but the middle was under-cooked, correct me if I'm wrong here. If I'm correct, you should be ok, given most of the flour was cooked and had the bacteria grilled off.

Source(s): I work at a restaurant/trained in health and food safety.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

it depends on the ingredients. read them carefully

• Will
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Yes it is safe as in it won't make you sick.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Well since you wrote this three hours after you ate it, at least, unless you are dead by now, I would say it was safe to eat.

• 1 month ago

It usually says right on the package to not eat raw flour. Can't tell you whether it is "safe" or not, but most flour bags tell you right off not to eat flour raw.

• 1 month ago

If the wraps were thin they probably reached a temperature that greatly minimizes the risk. 

You used to never hear about recalls of flour but it is becoming more common. 

For that reason next time you make the wraps cook them so that you have a bit of brown on both sides. If your wraps are thin enough I am sure they are fine.  If you bake them until they are not moist or soft in the center you will not have a "wrap you will have a "cracker".  Most flatbread, wraps are soft, pita is soft and they have been cooked through. 

If you have more and are worried heat them up in the microwave wrapped in a towel so they do not dry out.

• 1 month ago

its not going to kill you. It will just affect the taste

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

you'd probably feel queasy but you should be fine

• 1 month ago

e.coli can persist in raw flour, so its not a good idea 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.