Does my W2 form get sent to the address I put on my W4 form?

What determines where my W2 form and other tax forms are sent?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Joe
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Your employer will send your W-2 to the address that they have for you.  If that's no longer a good address, make sure that they have a new one for you.

Even if you no longer work there, you need to update your address with them in order to get your W-2.

• Steve1 month agoReport

Thank you Joe. Straight forward and to the point.

• 1 month ago

It gets sent to your address of record with your employer.

• 1 month ago

It gets sent to the address the employer has on file for you. That can be changed after submitting your W4.

• 1 month ago

Your last paycheck most likely.  People move, just need to update everything with your employer and you'll be fine.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Of course other tax forms can come from other places.  1099s can come from banks or brokers who give you interest or dividends.  They also need your current address and may also make the forms available on-line.  This is not a complete list.

• 1 month ago

It goes to the address your employer has for you.

• Judith
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

When you move you tell your employer your new address.  The W2 form goes to the latest address they have on their files.  Letting people know about address changes is YOUR responsibility.  If you want your 2019 W2 forms then perhaps you should contact your 2019 employers and give them your current address if they don't already have it.  Also be sure to change your address at the post office like you should be doing; they will forward mail for six months.

• 1 month ago

Whatever you told your employer. If you moved, give HR / payroll your new address.

• Bort
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

The mailing address you give to your employer as the address you want mail sent to. Your residence , where you live and sleep, can be different then where you receive mail if you want it to be as long as you have permission to get mail there. They don't have to accept a P.O. box if they don't want to.

Make sure your employer has the correct address you want mail sent to.

It is the year 2020. The internet has taken the place of a lot of things that were previously done on paper including tax forms, including W2's. In the past 10 years or maybe more my employer has only offered my W2's online. They can legally do that. The federal law has changed, they aren't required to send a paper copy any more they only have to provide *a* copy of it somewhere which can, and most of the time is, only online.

Ask your employer how they do W2's whether they send a paper copy or have it somewhere online for you to access. If it's online you don't have to worry about postal mail.

• 1 month ago

Are you couch surfing every couple of weeks?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.