Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceStudying Abroad · 1 month ago

How can I find a host family in my own country?

After talks with my mom and therapist we all agree that me living with another family to finish high school would be best. Things are tough and my mom wants me in an environment where I can better succeed, however she can not afford to move due to work, money, etc. I’ve done research and i’ve seen things like the international student program where students are placed into homes except i’m not coming from another country and would like to stay in my state. I have a specific school district in mind, but don’t really know what to do next as everything I find is for international students. 

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

What you need is a foster family. Your mother and therapist need to talk to Child Protective Services about how to do that. I know a family that had a foster child as a teenager- it was very successful, and that person, as an adult today, has close relationships with his mother and his foster parents. 

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Unless this is a relative you can not find your own host family. Your therapist should know the next step. And be able to help you. 

• 1 month ago

Exchange families aren't available for this. You'd essential need to be placed in a foster home in that district.

• 1 month ago

Only international foreign exchange student organizations have volunteer host families. There is no such thing for you.

Unless you have an immediate relative - aunt/uncle, grandparent, etc. - willing and able to accept temporary guardianship of you, you would need to be placed in a foster home. If the other school district is nearby, you could live at home but your mother would have to pay out-of-district tuition (about $12,000-15,000, which is about the cost of foreign exchange student programs) & provide transportation to/from school. For someone else to register you for school as a resident of that school district, they must hold legal guardianship of you (court order), or be in state's foster care system & in state-approved foster family.

Your "therapist" should be thoroughly familiar with such legalities!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.