Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastIsrael · 1 month ago

Jews: Why are you not allowed to eat shellfish nor allowed to mix meat and milk nor eat any animal with hooves nor use certain silverware??

8 Answers

Relevance
  • John E
    Lv 6
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

I do believe these lovely people have a long way to go to my friend.

We, the 1st world citizens should guide them towards the light and upgrade them with love and care in mind.

Thank you for sharing

Greetings

• 1 month agoReport

Hello Lord Erlichmann stop hiding from the shadows!

• BMCR
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Those are all part of the kosher laws.

We cannot eat non kosher because G-d says so.

Regarding silverware...

We can use any silverware but if it was previously used for non kosher food, it will need to be kashered (if possible) to use it.

Buying brand new silverware of any type and using it for yourself is fine.

Also, we need to use separate silverware and cookware for meat and dairy dishes.

• ...Show all comments
    • 1 month agoReport

Other poskim hold that the way that it is used have no bearing on the issue and do not exempt the utensil from tevilah. Go to my comments because yours is full.

• 1 month ago

Religion doesn’t allow you to do much of anything. 

• 1 month ago

Peacekeeper,

If it is their faith and not harming anybody with it, it is OK.

You can also ask why Islam doesn't allow pork or Alcohol, you can also ask why Christianity doesn't allow cheeseburger or anything that mixes meat and dairy (Old Testament), Why Hindus doesn't eat beef and Sikh don't cut their hair...

Faith is personal, as long as you don't oblige me to it.

• ...Show all comments
    • finished my studies in Nice (France) my best friends were Jews (Naturei Karta), we were Jogging from Sofia Antipolis to the Italian borders in 4 hours 2 Saturdays per month.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

There were good, scientific reasons for a lot of those prohibitions at the time they were written. Pigs, for example, were very prone to trichinosis when they act trash, and shellfish went bad very quickly in the hot, Middle Eastern sun. Those prohibitions became part of the Jewish identity. There's a very interesting book called Miriam's Kitchen that is about a Jewish women who didn't keep kosher but gradually found herself more and more committed to the rituals of her religion as she got older and had children. She explains it very well. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Because that is what is written in the Torah. We have separate silverware for meat and dairy because according to the Oral Law a kosher pot may not transfer the flavor or contaminates of a forbidden substance e.g. a hot meat pot absorbing butter or milk. Once the pot has been contaminated it is not kosher, food cooked in that pot is considered treif even if the food was originally the most kosher food on the shelf. SInce non-Jews eat pork and McDonald and shrimp it goes without saying that their pots, pans, cutlery is definitely 100% not kosher. 

We also have a rule to only use kosher vessels used or sold by Jews. We may not use non-Jewish crockery or vessels, even if new from the shop unless "a Jew" immerses it in the mikvah. Not where people bathe but there is a small tub/well/pool of water where people ONLY use to immerse their silverware, cutlery etc. But you are not Jewish. Did you know gentiles have 7 commandments and if they keep them they have a place in the world to come? Please see the website in my comments. Gentiles are not under Torah law or allowed to practice Judaism unless they convert which is EXTREMELY hard. 

Source(s): Orthodox Jew
    • ...Show all comments
    • 1 month agoReport

cannot absolutely bind the majority to follow this particular practices.  

• Blonde
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It’s in the first part of the Bible, or Torah. Moses wrote over 600 laws that Jews must adhere to. Some are dietary laws.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Google. What is kosher. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.