How to attract clientele as a barber?

I'm 17 starting out as a barber at a newly opened shop. I get on average around 3 cuts a week from my own clientele but I'm wondering how I can expand. The shop I work at has just opened and there are never any walk-ins. It is only me and my boss working there right now.

• falcon

If you have a friendly personality just talk to people ,hand out flyers promote yourself

I cut my own hair, and as a result I am able to save more money. Maybe there are other people who are doing the same thing as me.

I am a male by the way.

• denise

Trendy barbers are popular these days, with beard care included [ trimming, shampoo, conditioning, scented oils, e.t.c. ]

'Trendy' shop fittings [ maybe from an antique shop or car boot sale? ] and a 'Quirky' name could help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Cut the Mustard'.

'Trim & Proper'.  

'Hair Today...…...'.

Just a couple of ideas?

Get yourself out there.  Ever heard of a busker...do that...

I got a haircut from someone who handed me a card on the street once, I liked their initiative.  Given, the haircut wasnt good and I never went back...but had it been ok...I would have returned.  

Get the word out through social media, ask your friends to share with their friends.  

• Bort

Advertize. Flyers, posters, news paper and magazine ads, a sign outside where people can see it, online (facebook, google maps). You're not going to be found by people who are looking for the services you offer if you're not there to BE found.

Pimp yourself everywhere. There is no such thing as bad advertising. Even negative advertising is getting you out there and seen or heard about and making people curious.

• Anna D

My neighborhood has a facebook page where we sell each other used furniture, alert each other to lost pets and advertise stuff like small businesses. See if your neighborhood has one like that but even if it doesn't there's going to be some community garage sale page or something that you can post on. 

You could also walk down the nearby street with coupons or something or if there is anyplace nearby that has a community bulletin board you could put an ad up there. 

What if you do one of those ads in a sports program for like $50 or donate a basket of product and a coupon for a free cut to a charity to be used as a prize.

Oh... and join the local chamber of commerce. The owner of the shop should too!

maybe you can try advertising more

Im wondering what's wrong with Cindys mom