Danielle asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Would you recommend those cat capsule backpacks?

I'm getting a cat in two days and I'd like to take him on walks, but the places where I want to take him are not the best to let a cat walk around in (Dog walkers are there like 24/7, including myself) so I want to buy one of the cat capsule backpacks for the cats safety. Specifically the kind in the photo shown. Should I get it or is it cruel?

The cat is from a rescue center that requires my cat be inside or very well supervised outside at all times, but the cat loves being outside (At the rescue center they have an indoor/outdoor pen and the cat was running around in the outdoor part chasing a bug or something)

• Ocimom
    Favorite Answer

Personally I would not get it.  Some cats may be more scared then enjoy it and you won't know how your cat will react.  If you want your cat to have outside time, then build or buy and enclosure that attaches to the house via window or door.

• David

That would not work with my cat.  If they don't cost too much you could try but be prepared for a disaster.

I take my kitty on walks, always have. He makes himself scarce when there's a dog coming. And he likes to hop up to the top of a fence when there's a dog in the backyard. The dog go nuts & Mr. Kitty knows the dog won't jump the fence - not with me there. An animal cage is not cruel,but let him get use to it, first.

• Maxi

No I would never recommend anything like that

yeah, I also was dreaming I would take my cat everywhere with me, because the one I had many years ago was not afraid of anything and went on the leash wherever. the one I got now (a Siamese) is scared of everything. if I take him on a car ride he starts meowing and if I take him with me and he sees other people he puffs all up and u can see he is scared out of his wits. he does not react on dogs at all, whether barking or walking by. so first u get a cat. then u see how will he be, I have noticed cats from rescue centres are scared of everything. probably because the have been traumatised before

• Danielle1 month agoReport

The cats at this shelter don't even flinch at dogs near their kennel. They are sweet and have never been abused. Their mother was sent to the shelter when she was pregnant and they had to keep the mothers babies due to age. (The kittens were 3 months old when the mom got adopted)

• PAMELA

Your cat will object to that, let it go out on it's own!

• Danielle1 month agoReport

If I do that then one of the dogs will get to the cat. Or if you mean just let it run, around my house people are murdering cats. I don't think I could handle loosing another cat so soon.

They're too confining and don't have enough airflow. Plus why would you cruelly stuff a cat in a carrier and carrier where there's lots of dogs? How effing stupid are you???? Or are you just a clueless, selfish 12 year old?

• Danielle1 month agoReport

Because I want to know how people feel about the carriers. And I bet if I went to that shelter you wouldn't even know it was me. 

• *****

Enjoying chasing a bug in an outdoor pen does not equate to being hauled places in a backpack where he can't interact with anything he sees. He'd likely be frustrated that he can't get out and explore. Plus, he can certainly be very stressed by dogs barking and jumping at the backpack, which is a likely occurrence if you frequent places with lots of loose dogs. Instead, look into constructing a catio in your yard (or patio, balcony, etc.), where he can safely enjoy some outdoor time.  

Seems cruel to me.  But if you want to take your cat for a walk, then let him/her walk around in a grassy space and explore.  But dont take them to dog places.  It would be better in a non scary space.  Our cat loved a good drag......

• Danielle1 month agoReport

I cannot let the cat explore on its own because small animal murders live near my house and I wouldn't be able to handle loosing another cat so soon, and I would never drag an animal.

• Rick B

Cats do not want (nor do they need) to go on walks. Save your money and let the cat lay around the house like cats prefer.

• No Mercy

they do want to go n walks, but they want to do it ON THEIR terms and go where they want