Can anyone explain to me are we supposed to be at war with Iran and what is supposed to be the cause of it?

I am asking because I keep asking questions to my family and I am not getting any answers so I decided to ask Yahoo

• VP

If we were at war with Iran the news would be all over TV, radio, newspapers, and the Internet.

So, unless you're new to the Internet -- I'm sure you knew this *before* posting this question.  That means you're just trolling.

Have a good evening.

Trump campaigned on keeping us out of war and out of the Middle East. Now he's come close to plunging us into another war with a country that used to be a close US ally. You do the math. 

We are not at war with Iran... yet.  Tensions between the United States and Iran have been brewing since 2018 when the new US president Donald Trump withdrew from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (a.k.a. the Iran Nuclear Deal) that was negotiated, in part, by the former US president Barack Obama, along with the leaders of the European Union (EU), China, Russia, and the United Kingdom (UK) - which was part of the EU at the time.

Tensions began to rise dramatically on January 3, 2020, when the president ordered the bombing of Qasem Soleimani, a prominent Iranian military general and internationally-recognized terrorist, who was in Iraq at the time.  The Iranian government has vowed revenge for the killing, so the US and Iran are currently in a standoff.

In order to declare war against another country, the United States Congress has to authorize the declaration.  Congress has not authorized military force against another country since 2002 (Iraq), and is not expected to authorize a war arising out of this current conflict.  However, the January 3 bombing was not authorized by Congress, so it is possible that the US and Iran may be involved in an illegal war.  We'll see.