Forced to pay rent via Rent Cafe online?

I pay my rent by check. I do not shop online or enter my info on websites. I have been renting for 4 years paying by check to manager monthly. Now the new owner is FORCING me to pay by card or bank account to a company called RENT CAFE! I do not want to join rent cafe (and pay a fee to join) and a fee each month to pay my rent. It is not in my lease! And rent cafe can be hacked! Yes, even IRS has been hacked. Can I be FORCED to do this?

Your lease should state how you are required to pay your rent. they cannot change any terms until the expiration of your current lease.

They can make this a requirement on your lease renewal...you can leave or comply.  Nobody is forcing you to do anything.  

Send your checks to the same place...if they arent getting cashed, send them certified.  

Its easier for the landlord, thats why they are doing this.  They cannot force you to do anything, but the cops will be the ones to FORCE you out when they either choose to evict (unlikely) or when they non-renew your lease and you fail to leave.  

Is paying by check in the lease? No. Doesn't have to be. This is how the collect rent. You'll be fine.

They cannot force you to pay your rent but if you do not, then they can force you out - by evicting you, for your failure to pay your rent.  You are required to pay your rent in the manner "they choose" to have it paid. 

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • Bort

First: Talk to them. Explain and emphasize that you have not yet and are not going to start shopping online because you don't want your information online. You have the right to that choise and to protect your personal security and assets.

No, they cannot force you to do something you do not want to do that is not in the lease. They cannot force you to aquire and pay extra fees that aren't in the lease either. Continue sending them a check and be sure to keep the reciepts. You will need to have things in place to protect yourself if they attempt causing problems and not accepting a check, money order (which is the best idea). The steps I suggest and recommend you take is send a money order certified postal mail a week before rent is due so they receive it at their home or at the office on or before the due date. Money orders are much easier to track than a bank account and they are federal treasury notes if you purchase them at a post office.

Since it isn't in the lease they can't force you to make online payments you prefer not being subject to and cannot claim you didn't pay rent because they won't accept a money order, you didn't mention where you are in some places it's legal for places to decline accepting checks since a check can bounce - with a money order the money is there= they have to accept it and cannot decline it (in most areas.)

That way if they attempt to evict it's highly unlikely any court is going to allow them to throw you out once you prove you sent the payments. It's not your fault they didn't accept a money order if that's what they attempt to do.

You won't know until you talk to them and ask them if they'll accept a money order. They cannot force you to do it online and incur extra fees. As I said it's possible they can decline accepting checks.

I never had to pay a fee when the apartment complex I lived in started using it; it was all free. Never had any issues either.

If its not in your lease, you don't have to. If you sign a new lease and its in there, you have to. But, it might not be worth your time fighting over it.

Are you sure there is not a way to pay via online billpay with an ach transfer for free?

Not under your current lease. However, your current lease will eventually expire, at which time they will tell you that if you want to keep living there, you will need to agree to a new lease, with the requirement to pay via this method being written into it.  

• Maxi

" It is not in my lease!" How long is your lease for as? If it states payment is accepted by check, fine, if not then the landlord can change their accepted payment preferance and/or as soon as your lease term is up and/or with one months written notice about future rental payments

Yes, you can. It's a protected site, like a bank.