Am I going to get parasites from stepping in mud and puddles?

I really didn't want to go walking at a national park with my family, so I didn't even think to get socks on and just wore some tennis shoes. It had rained last night, so there were still some puddles and the trail was still pretty muddy. My feet did get drenched a bit from the puddles and mud, and I'm just curious because I know some ways parasites can be transmitted is via stepping in something.

Favorite Answer

Remote chance of getting anything. The risk goes up if you actually step in where humans defecated or where dogs have taken a poop. Parasites have enzymes that can penetrate intake skin but in some cases like with dogs it won't go further than your skin. With hookworms then that is a different story and can cause infestation. 

With other environmental microbial flora the risk goes up when one has open wounds and cuts that comes into contact with such opportunistic environmental organisms. 

It's extremely unlikely if not impossible. You would probably have to step in faeces and then ingest parasite eggs somehow from your feet. Presuming you washed them you should be absolutely fine. Even if you didn't the chances are so low.

Possibly, especially Ring Worm, Trench Foot, and the like.

You don't have any open, bleeding wounds on your feet that would allow the ingress of parasites do you?  Of course not.  Grow up.