what side of the car is the steering wheel on in Iceland? Going to Iceland in December. Trying to figure out if I should rent a car.?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

It's definitely a place where you will need a car.  The drive on the right side of the road, the same as USA and Europe.  Steering wheel on the left side. 

• ...Show all comments
    • P
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Uh oh, I've offended our fellow European Islanders by not being specific enough.  *continental Europe

• 1 month ago

Should YOU rent a car?

First thing like most of Europe in Iceland they drive a standard transmission car from the left hand seat.

You MUST specify if you want automatic transmission.

Are you familiar with Winter driving procedures? Not something one should learn in a rental car in a distant place. Good idea to get insurance.

First figure out what it is you want to see and do while in Iceland not much point having your rental car parked at your Hotel as you explore the big city. Rate to pick up and return cars to the Airport location is higher than other places. You DO NOT have to rent a car for the entire time you are there.

Many bus options so that the driver also gets to enjoy the scenery and not just the car in front of them on the road.

• ...Show all comments
    • Dimple
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Japan has an amazing subway super organized.  I don’t like US buses.  Just wondering if it’s efficient to go by bus then.  I have my old parents with me. 

• 1 month ago

Like the others have said, steering wheel is on the left side. and yes, Iceland is a place where you'll want a car.

If you are used to driving with automatic transmission, then keep in mind that manual transmission is standard in Europe, so if you need a car with automatic transmission, it's a good idea to contact the car rentals in advance to make sure they have one and that it's available when you're visiting.

• Dimple
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Yup yup I’ve asked for automatic. I didn’t finalize it yet still weighing the pros and cons and looking at prices 

• 1 month ago

They drive on the right so the steering wheel is on the left.

• Dimple
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Thanks SO MUCH!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.