Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 month ago

Can dehydration cause constipation?

I had a stomach virus for 2 days... Anytime I would drink water, I would throw it up. Ever since then, I’ve been constipated.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

The average person needs at least 3 liters of water per day to stay in peak health.  You should be seeking treatment of this stomach virus (H. Pylori ?) if you have not done so already.  Trying to re-hydrate should be your number one priority.  You've likely lost a lot of electrolytes with the vomiting.  I would not take any laxatives that are stool softeners.  Doing so could make your situation worse and add more problems because the drug works by drawing water to the bowel. 

• ron h
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

yes.  If you can hold down liquids, drink water or milk or most juice has a lot of sugar, but some of that's OK.  Some coffee is good, but water is best.   A couple of glasses every couple of hours till you've drank 30 oz or so. Then do again after a little while    Skip alcohol for the next few days til you have a couple of BMs

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Absolutely.  Sip tea or gatorade and be patient.

• 1 month ago

message me, I have an awesome solution

• ron h
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

There's no need to message this guy.  He's selling something that he calls "kangan water."

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Yes. Your crap needs water to keep it from getting stuck in your guts.

• ...Show all comments
    • Yes but it also needs paristalsis to move it through the gut similar to the action an earthworm uses to move around.  People like me that have damage to the Vegus nerve (the parasympathetic brain of the GI tract) often end up with gastro paresis where the rate of motion in the gut is reduced.

• 1 month ago

Same with me too.

After a few days medical help is vital.

• ron h
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

it's rare to need a doctor for constipation.  Rare, but not "never."

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes. Thats why drinking water helps you not become constipated

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, it can........................

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.