How much should I charge for babysitting?  Am I being paid fairly?

I babysit a 4-month old monday-friday from 7:00am- Sometimes 6:30 or even 7:10 ish. I get paid $175 per week, sometimes she's payed me less-130/140 bc she hasn't been able to pay the $175. She's supposed to pay me every Friday but now she wants to pay me biweekly and is paying me Tuesday- 4 days later than she should- $210 is what she is paying me. I babysit the baby at my home, she brings him his food. should I charge her more ? Like $300 a week or more biweekly. Anyone help me please. I really don't know how to start telling her she needs to pay me more.

what state and city depens and mention it pre answers more. the way to ask anyone for more money is. nice and clear nd supportive.

"I was thinking about increment and experience .. ... etc. etc. "

say what you have for them in a plate. let them ask or speak"what do you wnat from them" or "waht are you really talking about?"

answer nice way. you know cost of foods and utilities has gone up

and its real it has gone up like almost 4-10% in many states. i used to pay 7.99 for pizza now its 12.99 in one year. so . and they sell on deal as 9.99. .

1. location is important, gonna get more in a major city than out in the rural country. 

2. This is garbage pay and if she cannot pay you the currently agreed to amount, you need to cut ties immediately. 

3. You're working 55 hours a week, sometimes a little more.  At $175 a week, that's around $3.18 an hour...

Common babysitting payments are in the range of $6-$8 an hour.

• John

Call around to ask what prices people will pay for babysitting.

• Amy

You should be charging at least minimum wage.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/29/552.104

• Nuff Sed
      2 days agoReport

Independent contractors are generally exempt from minimum wage laws in most places.

• Mark

What's the going rate?  Ask your friends.  Where I live it's $12 - $15/hr.  Is there demand for your services?

I'm more concerned that you had an agreement, and they feel free to pay you less.  If they can't afford you, that's their problem.  I would look for another situation, and after lining up someone else, give notice.  If they take advantage of you now, it will continue.

Life lesson: know your worth and stick to your guns

According to your previous question you live in NJ most babysitters here get $ 15.00 an hour you should be getting at least $10.00 an hour which is minimum wage.

🌷You should move your question to the Parenting section.

$175 per week (assuming 5 days per week), is $35 per day.

If you are staying at home all day anyway, then its probably a fair deal for everyone since its not really costing you anything extra to keep an eye on the kid for the day.

But you should stand up for yourself and insist on being paid the full amount you've agreed to, and on time. If she needs to switch to paying every other week to correspond to when she gets her paychecks, then that's fine, but she needs to pay in full and on time. $175 weekly or $350 every other week - same amount overall, but don't accept less than that.

You certainly could ask for more, the price is pretty low, but it sounds like this is a struggling single Mom and if you ask for more money she won't be able to afford to pay you, and she'll either have to find someone else or quit her job and go on welfare, so demanding more might result in you getting nothing at all. If you're happy watching the kid I'd stick with $35 per day but be firm on that amount and the timing of payments.

The answer will depend upon what the rates are in your area.  Where I live, around $8 per hour for one child is typical.  You're working 10-12 hours per day, 5 days per week.  That's 50 - 60 hours weekly.  So you should be getting paid $400-$480 per week.  That doesn't include the overtime, which is usually $12 per hour for anything over 8 hours per day.  So when you factor that in, you should be making $500+ per week.

Set out rules.  Let her know how much you charge and what the expectations are.  You're being taken advantage of.  Right now you're not even making minimum wage.  At the very least you should figure out what minimum wage is for your area and charge that per hour, and again add at least $1-$2 per hour for anything over 8 hours per day.

• Nuff Sed
      2 days agoReport

"overtime"???  You're an independent contractor. You don't get "overtime".

You aren't a licensed childcare center.

You can't expect to be paid what a licensed center is paid. 

$175 is a fair amount.

But if she doesn't pay you on time or pays you less, you are free to tell her that you are unable to care for her child until you get the full amount.