Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 month ago

Relative asking for money for wedding?

A relative of mine just came out of the blue saying she was having a wedding. There was no dating history with this guy whatsoever and after meeting him she's already married him in court. She now wants to have a wedding where all her relatives can attend and has a long list of things that need to be paid for.

I think it's selfish and rude to expect others to pay for your wedding. If you're already married in court, why the pressure to have this wedding that costs a lot of money?

When I got married this relative NEVER even sent me a congratulatory message yet my pictures were all over her social media. I didn't ask for a penny and had my wedding.

She's constantly on vacation showing off how perfect her life is, yet expects money from us to pay for her wedding?

She's constantly reminding me of her wedding and has held a fundraising for it. I don't want to attend her fundraising because I think she's beyond rude. Am I overreacting?

Her wedding is at the end of February and she wants it in Hawaii

do not do anything.. SHE is already married and is trying to sucker people into paying for a vacation.. DO NOT FALL FOR IT.. MANY young people now days want to have two and three weddings at different places and with different family from each side etc. just to see what else they can get for free... 

SHE IS ALREADY MARRIED... HOW about calling it like it is... A SECOND CEREMONY but SHE IS ALREADY MARRIED... 

TELL her its just to bad that she should have had a better first wedding and invited you to it

YOU NOW EXPECTED TO ACCEPT SECONDS... and wasn't good enough to be invited to the first one... DON'T even go to it and tell her she has to figure out which date she wants to use for her ANNIVERSARY... that you only do ONE... 

She's already married.. no one can legally marry her again.

The wonderful thing about an invitation is that it is not a summons to appear in court.  You do not have to attend an event you are invited to.  Because you are ofended by your relative's horrible manners and money grabbing ways, then don't attend any of her fund raising events and maybe even do not attend the wedding either.

Your relative has entitlement issues, big time.  I am totally embarrassed for her crass behavior in not only having a pretend wedding and using everyone as her audience while asking them for money to fund her wedding show.

If I knew anyone like this, I would never be part of this farce of a wedding

• GB

You are not overreacting.  If she wants to play at  having a 'wedding'  it's weird but each to their own... (Getting married in a court house is still a wedding.)  But trying to coerce others into paying for it is  wrong - and would be if it was a proper wedding. She will probably  expect presents too.  I would  refuse point blank to give her money, or to attend the ceremony.

It is her wedding, let her pay.  You are the guest.

• sarah

It's one thing to have a courthouse wedding and then a ceremony and reception later on...but to expect relatives (including those you apparently aren't even really close with) to foot the bill is ridiculous and completely out of line. I definitely don't think you're overreacting, and if I were you, I wouldn't send her a dime.

• Kelly

Tell her weddings are for people who aren't already married.

Of course you dont give her anything.

• drip

What is the problem? You say no. Sorry no, I will not be contributing to your wedding fund. 

If you don’t want to have this relative in your life, then don’t. It sounds like you don’t like them or have any respect for them. 

What she does or posts isn’t your concern. 

RSVP no to the wedding invitation and be done with it. 

• drip

No it isn’t. They can just stop following the relative if they don’t like what is being posted.

She's already married; she literally cannot have another wedding.

That aside; yes, it's hugely rude to expect other people to pay for it.