Can you become an actor without experience ?

That Drill Sargent on Full Metal Jacket did just that. I'm guessing it's rare though...

• Athena

Why should I even look at you if you don'e have ANY experience?

It is POSSIBLE.

But so very, very improbable.

EDIT to add: I myself, with no acting experience at all, was auditioned, AND called back, for a very minor role in a movie, purely on the strength of my work in voice-over, so in theory I could have been hired to act in that one film. However that would not have made me 'an actor'. 

It’s possible to get cast in a school play, community theater project or maybe a student film with no experience.  If you’re asking about acting professionally, it’s possible like it’s possible to win a million dollars in a lottery. So it’s extremely unlikely and scams and rip-off prey on people who mistakenly think they can just be discovered.

Professional acting is a business. People invest a lot of money in their projects and they’re going to trust that investment to trained and experienced professionals.  They don’t have open auditions that anyone can go to.  For most professional work you have to be invited to audition, usually through a talent agent. So it would very unlikely that a casting director is going to invite someone with no acting experience to audition. 

On top of that most professional work in the US is union.  That means the production company/theater has agreements with actor unions (like SAG-AFTRA or AEA). The company/theater agree to a pay scale and work conditions and give preference to actors who are members of the union.  And you have to have a certain type of experience to be eligible to join the union.

• Mark

It has happened, but very rare.  Recent example:  Henry Golding, star of "Crazy Rich Asians" was not an actor.  His experience was as a presenter on a travel show.

• Cogito

You can't become a professional actor with no training or experience.  That would be like asking if you can do brain surgery without going to medical school!

On average, it takes seven years of top-quality training and of stage and film experience before any genuine agency would accept you as a client.

That's where actors get auditions - through agents.

No-one is ever going to be interested in someone with no training and no experience.  Why would they?  How would they know if you have any talent and know what acting involves?

No. You can become an actor without schooling but not without experience. How would you prove your prowess?

Peace.

It can happen. I can think of a string of productions where comedians have been cast in dramas without any obvious experience of acting. The advantage they have over complete amateurs is they have Equity cards.

No. It's the sort of thing you would have to have been doing from a young age. Like you could probably get a job as an extra but not an actor.

• P

If you pass an audition sure, but it's not as easy as you would think.  You can always do your own youtube videos to get experience if you think you can pull it off.