Don asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

My kitten doesn’t use her litter box ?

Hello, i’ve just recently bought a kitten, the first night i got her she didn’t pee or poo at all. the second night i woke up in the morning and she had pee’d on my bed and then pooed underneath my bed. Then the next time she pee’d she did it in the LITTER BOX. then just now she took a piss underneath my bed on a bag...why has she only used her litter box once? 

• Trisha

How old is she? If she's less than 6 months, it's likely that she simply hasn't learned how to.

• Bec

You should keep a cat in one, quiet, easy to clean room for the first few days to help her settle (with her bed, food, water, litter). Usually they pick up litter box habits quickly from other cats.

Put more litter boxes around the areas she is currently using (be careful of placement - quiet but with 2 escape routes so not in a corner or under anything that makes a cat feel trapped. Not too near to food or water bowls. Keep litter clean. I find filling the litter quite deep works well as more clumps together and it's easier to clean)

Pick her up, put her in the litter box, dig with her paw and let her go. You can put her poo in there and then her, dig with her paw and let her go. She'll learn quick enough.

• Bort

A litter box is a simulation of where a cat naturally wants to do with their business. Cats bury their waste in loose dirt or sand or somewhere similar out in nature. She may need to be with her mom for a bit longer so she can learn these things from her mom and other siblings. That might be the best idea if it's possible to let her spend another week or two wih her mom.

Another thing you can try is either using different litter or mix things in with it like sand or dirt or flour or sheet rock dust. Maybe there's something she doesn't like about the current litter you have like it's pellet size is to large for her little paws and claws to manage the way she'd like to or something but it's most likely that she's still very young. She's still learning and figuring things out. If she can be around other slightly older cats to learn from them that would probably be best for both of you.

Animals need to be around their parents and siblings to learn things from them including behavioral habits like how to play properly which creates their play habits that they'll carry throughout their entire life. If they don't have a bro or sis to wrestle with that says "ow!" and teaches her (hands-on) that pain sucks and her claws are sharp and cause injury she may never learn how to play nicely - as an example.

They learn everything from their parents and siblings just like we did which includes how to eat, drink, defend themselves, and wipe our own butts.

I think she needs to be around her kin or at least some friendly cats that are slightly older to show her the ropes.

She's not potty trained yet. Keep her in a non-carpeted area for awhile, with access to her litter box until she starts learning how to use it. When she gets older, she will start making an effort to be a cleaner girl and start to using the box.

• PAMELA

Depending on how young she is her mum may not have taught her to use the litter box, put her in it after every meal,she will soon get the idea.

• Maxi

Because the kitten is stressed from moving home, you need to get it out of your bedrom and into a room you can easily clean, along with its litter box/food/water and let it get settled into a routine, otherwise the kitten will get into a habit of toileting on clothes, beds, cushions or carpets

Every time I've brought a new cat or kitten into my home, I never give them free reign until 3-4 days. I lock them in the bathroom, food, water, and box. None of mine have ever gone into the box in the first day, BUT, with kittens, I will place them in the box, dig with their paw, and they all hop out. Nerves, new surroundings, not wanting to eat or drink, and just resting is what's normal. By the second day, a little water, some food, and some sniffing at the box, then sure enough, jumping right in to do their business. It's a cat's natural instinct to bury their waste. I will not let them out of the bathroom until I'm confident that they know what to do in the litter box.

After that, gradual moving of water, food, litter box where I want it in my home, showing them yet again what to do and how to do it, and they catch on. Letting a little kitten have something as big as your room is very overwhelming and they will just go where they want. If she is very tiny, her bladder and bowels and her tiny little self won't make it quickly to the litter box, either. You need to keep her locked up in a tiny place so her tiny self can make it and catch on. Maybe buy two litter boxes and place them closer to where she likes to be. Treat, love, and praise when she uses the box. When you catch her peeing or pooping where she's not supposed to, place her gently in the box, use her paw to bury, let her hop out. Pick up her poop, put it in the litter box, and let her smell it. She will catch on, you just need to be patient. 

• Stella

Perhaps try a few different types of litter in separate boxes.

She might have a problem with the texture or scent of the litter.

• patty

after you feed her put her in the kitty litter

• Satan

You need to correct her - after she's eaten , take her to the litter box and hold her there - keep the litter clean too - Cats are fairly clean, and will hopefully soon learn