Can the Irish be victims of racism?

Sure, the Irish are the lightest, most Caucasian-looking of all ethnicities. You wouldn't know a person was Irish unless they told you.

However, as a part Irish person myself, I'm saddened to hear that the Irish were oppressed by the English for 800 years and, when the Irish immigrated to USA, they are considered sub-human and held back from jobs.

I've been treated badly but I don't know if it's because I'm Irish or appear ethnic in some way?

Do the Irish get racist abuse hurled at them in the same way as, say, the Italians? Or they are pretty much just left alone and no one cares?

In the USA the number one ethnic group that gets made fun of by comedic writers are irish people(and also some other celtic peoples).

They can be victims of prejudice I suppose, but since the Irish are considered white, it would more than likely be because they are "white" (as invalid of a name for an ethnic category as that might be), not Irish. 

Yeah,it used to happen but not so much anymore. Back in the day they had employment signs that used to read "No Irish Need Apply"

No. They can be victims of prejudice because of their Irish nationality. But it's not racism, since there is no such thing as an Irish race.

The  same persecution of the irish  happened in Australia

• D1218

Yes, they're white as well. If someone insults the white race of course they will be involved.

• Zirp

Of course. ANYBODY can be judged on their nationality, ethnicity, accent, haircolour, etc

If you hate someone because of whatever race you believe them to be, then it's racism.

This works for imaginary races too. So if one caucasian believes you to be of race "x" and they hate you because they hate "x", that defines racism.

It doesn't matter what your race is, because racists can't usually identify actual race anyway.

They can and were.

The Irish and my people were both excluded by the American white man.  In the United Kingdom they said "no blacks, no dogs, no Irish".

But whilst today the Irish are accepted, my people are still cast out.  Still last to be hired, still first to be fired, still hungry and living day to day with not a clue what will happen to us tomorrow.

You forgot that the Romans considered them genetically inferior first.

Update @Brother - Lol, they were considered so inferior they weren't worth the cost of a military campaign. But the Romans did get them, how many Romans Catholics are there still in Ireland? ... it kind of reminds me of what happened in Mexico