I am using 4.95 of ram and my computer has 8 ram. Should i get more to speed it up?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Steven
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Yes, you have need to update your system in the some period of time and it helps to speed your system.

Attachment image
  • 1 month ago

If you're using 7gb out of the 8gb you have, then it's time to upgrade.

If you're using a newer system that takes DDR4 memory, it might not be a bad idea to upgrade since memory is very cheap. RAM prices are predicted to go up this summer. However if you don't plan to hold on to the system for much longer, then why bother?

Otherwise, you won't see any benefit if you're only using close to 5gb of RAM.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No, not necessary, Windows fills up memory no matter how much you have, as it's trying to get the most use of the RAM available, as it is the fastest way to run programs. If you double RAM, Windows will just double RAM usage.

• ...Show all comments
    • Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Windows has 3 categories of memory usage: In Use, Standby, and Free. The standby memory and the in-use memory get converted into each other as need arises.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Youre not using all the ram you currently have. All getting more would do is increase the amount youre not using. Unless youre at like 90% capacity, its not going to significantly slow down whatever youre running. You might benefit from faster ram, but not more of the same.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Bill-M
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Will not help that much.   Try replacing the Hard Drive with a Solid State Hard Drive (SSD).   Also  Find out what is using so much RAM.   Open Task Manager and have a look at what processes are hogging RAM.   If your using Windows 10 and have some third party Anti Virus installed like Norton, then uninstall it.  Not required with Windows 10.  That will save a lot of RAM and speed up your PC.   While in Task Manager check the START UP Tab and Disable what is not required.

• ...Show all comments
    • m8xpayne
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

"4.95GB RAM usage is standard usage for Windows alone."
      I'm running a compute program in the background which uses 200mb of RAM and my web browser is using 700mb. My total system usage with these programs is 4.1gb.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

more wont help much. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.