Is it worth it to be a manager at a fast food restaurant?

I feel like I could be manager, but I don't know if that's really what I want to do. What are the responsibilities a manager has to carry out vs a crew member?

I know ordering inventory has to be one of them. The other things I can think of are interviewing, hiring, training and scheduling people. What else do they have to do? Also, I think my manager reports to somebody higher than them in the chain of command every month or something. They also have to handle customer complaints. And also go to meetings every now and then?

What is the pay compared to a crew member and is it really worth it? I'm a crew member and I barely get like 10-15 hrs/week. 15hrs if I'm REALLY lucky. Managers always get 35+ hrs EASILY every week. The highest I seen a crew member get for hrs was 30hrs/week and that was only for 1 week. So one argument I could make already for wanting to become a manager is simply the amount of hrs they get. At least where I work.

The only person who orders inventory is the store manager. The store manager does the hiring, interviewing, and setting up training as well as the schedule. Assistants and shift leaders help run the store.

Do you have any managerial experience? Do you have a business degree? What QUALIFIES you to be a manager? Generally, you get a degree that qualifies you to do something. You might be able to work up to assistant manager in a fast food place, after working there for a long time and showing that you are capable but, otherwise, forget it.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.

It may not be your life goal, but its a stepping stone to another job potentially.  Go for it. 

You seem to know a lot more than the average crew person.

The biggest job they have daily is being a positive role model and team player, who jumps in and pitches with workers during busy times.

I worked fast food and loved jack in the box in the 1970s 

I felt like you do. I knew i had the skills of the current manager and could figure things out faster.

Here's what to consider, you have your foot in the door, you know the basic knowledge. 

Because you are young you have the opportunity now to make a move, check into advancement. 

It's a good job move.

Remember this is a stopping point not a career and that management position could lead to better opportunities in less than a year.

Once you get the advancement hang tight for a year and get experience and then move on to a better restaurant 

All the while you are working on a degree for the future.

Id say go for it, check out the requirements and apply.

Dont worry about what you dont know...you learn fast and move on. 

The great thing about fast food unlike politics you can make a customers happy with free fries.

Good luck....i hope this works out for you...make your parents proud.

Managers are not hourly. They are salary. You must mean shift leader of some type.

When I was assistant manager I worked 50 hours a week for not much more than min wage with overtime. When I got promoted to manager, I was no longer required to work 50 hours. I worked 70+ for the first 2 months because If I didnt I would have been demoted back to assistant manager. After that, I worked as much as I needed. Which was 35-45 most of the time. It took me 2 months to hire and train enough so that I did not have to work all the time. When i got comfortable working 35 hours, they moved me to a screwed up store where I had to work more again.  I could not refuse it because it was closer to home. And they did give me another raise. I got raises a lot because I started so far below everyone else. And they did not want to lose me because I was one of the best in town despite being one of the youngest.

I cant imagine doing it now. Being on my feet that much at 55. No way.

As a manager you would be required to the following-

- Inventory (ie calling to get orders, being there to sign for deliveries)

- Making the schedule (some, not all managers are responsible for this)

- Nightly cash close (if you are  a closing manager)

- Filling in for people's breaks: This means you would have to do some cooking, some cash work, you may have to help clean the restuarant if need be etc)

- You would be responsible for making sure everyone makes it out at night, setting the alarm, locking the facility (if you are a closing manager)

- Opening the restuarant (if you are the day manager)

- Dealing with any conflicts that come up at work between staff members

-  Handling customer complaints

- Attending staff training meetings

- Communicating with your superiors via email during the day

Shift managers make little more than crew, and get treated the same as crew.

Salaried management makes more on paper, but are often required to work horrendous hours to get that pay. Years ago when I worked fast food to have an income until I found a real job, salaried management was making about $40,000 a year to start (not that shabby where I live that long ago) but they were *required* to work 60 hours per week, and often more like 70. No overtime for that either. If you broke it down to an hourly pay, they made just a little more than the shift managers.

This is perfectly legal too, so make sure you understand more than just what the duties are, find out just how many hours they are required to work for that pay. If you are single, maybe not a big deal. Got a family you want to see? Good luck with that.