If you turn a pair of powered speakers off, will they still work if you connect them to an amplifier while they are off?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Steven
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

An amplifier does not pass the input signal to the speakers. It creates a larger copy from the power supply voltage. So if the power is off, there is no way for the input to reach the speaker unless the design includes a switch to bypass the amplifier.

• 9 months ago

Generally, no, 

but there a few are equipped with a bypass switch for that purpose. 

Refer to the Owner's Manual for full information on the model you have. 

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Yes IF you can connect the output(s) of the amp directly to the speaker(s).

I have a pair of powered speakers and there's no way to do this - the only inputs are to the amplifiers inside the speaker cabinets.

I certainly wouldn't want to try connecting the amp's output to the normal signal input to a powered speaker.

If you are able to access the speakers on their own then of course they need to match the impedance of the amp and be able to handle its power.

• 9 months ago

i would just try it and see and then you'll know

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

Yes, the powered speakers come with their own amplifiers, but you can bypass those built in amplifiers by connecting speaker wires directly to the speakers themselves. Turning off the powered speakers simply turns off the electrical power that is needed to run the amplifier. Make sure you turn off your amplifier first before connecting the speaker wires. You don't want to short circuit your amplifier's output stage, which can happen if the 2 speaker wires accidentally touch each other.

• Rick
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

IF you bypass their built-in amp & hook right-up the the speaker, quite possibly ......................

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.