Do jewelers make already existing rings?

I absolutely love this engagement ring by Brilliant Earth, however I really, really do not want a diamond for the center. I love opals. I contacted Brilliant Earth and they do not offer the specific ring that I want with an opal as the center. Can I take the image of the ring and try to get it made somewhere else with an opal or is that technically illegal because of plagiarism or copying or something? 

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

Any talented jeweler can create any ring you desire.

Howsoever, please do some research about the practicality of having an opal engagement ring that will be worn daily.  I cannot say for sure, but I do believe an opal is not a very hard stone and could perhaps crack easily under daily wear over the course of time.  Do check.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

You couldn't replicate someone else's design for commercial purposes but you could have it done for your own personal use. As long as you aren't trying to profit from it Brilliant Earth would never even know you lifted the setting design.

• Kelly
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Take it to a jeweler (a jeweler not a jeweler store, they're not the same) and see what they can do for you.  They may be able to come up with a similar design of their own.

Opals though tend to crack easier than other stones.

• You may have to find a jeweler that makes custom jewelry. Show them the picture and get a few prices before you do it. It may not look exactly the same with an opal.  If you want an opal, that's your decision. But they are a softer stone which can be prone to cracking, which means you may be replacing the opal frequently. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

Talk to the jeweler who makes it with the diamond.  The original jewelry designer would have to give consent to use their design I would like to think.  You can't just copy a design without compensating the designer the original designer.

• 9 months ago

You can always ask a local jeweler, and see what they say.

• Rick
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

They might unless they've been asked by someone to make a unique ring and never reproduce it for anyone else.  It doesn't hurt to ask them.  I hope they're okay with you having it made elsewhere since you admire it so much.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

they might, i would ask them about it

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

you're picking out your own engagement ring???? your boyfriend will pay a lot for a custom one. it's just an engagement ring.... put more effort into the actual wedding ring.

someone is salty lol. do you have 2 (3 accounts) accounts to thumbs down me?

how am i being rude again? please tell me. i'm giving an opinion. where did i say anything rude? i gave you an answer. if you want a custom one, it will cost A LOT. it's simple.

• 9 months ago

Jewelry designs can be protected by copyright law and many large jewelry chains will refuse to copy existing designs for that reason.  Smaller, craft jewelers, however, may create a similar design for you as they tend to "fly under the radar" of scrutiny.

Your best bet is to find jewelers local to your area, show up in person (as some might be uncomfortable committing to copy a design by phone or email) and ask what they'd charge.  Worst case is that they'll tell you "no" because of copyright laws.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.