Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentFood Service · 1 month ago

Leave job or change hours?

So I started this job 3 months ago.The issue is ever since Christmas I notice that customers are not coming in.I'm a server at a restaurant and I only do like 3-5 tables in 5 hours only making like $25.i go in Monday and Tuesday's mornings but I feel like I don’t need to go in because I get cut within 2-3 hours(3 people are enough to do the floor)Should I change my hours to just nights and weekends.Weekends our ok but ever since x mas we have been very slow slower than usual and I notice I only make like $30-$50 on weekend nights.this is a chain restaurant.do u think it’s the customer service and management because I see other surrounding restaurants and they are full of people almost everyday.I'm from Georgia.

Lets address a few things shall we?

1- The reason your hours are being cut back is because your restaurant isn't doing well financially. So, to stay afloat, cuts and adjustments have to be made to meet a profit, it usually starts with slashing peoples hours. It is nothing personal, and by no means is it an indication of how you do your job.

2. You do NOT get to decide what hours you get or shifts you are in for! That is up to management, they decide the schedule for the company. The fact you think "should I change my hours to nights and weekends?", shows that you don't grasp how the real world works. Sure, you can ask your manager if you can work nights, but by no means are you entitled to it, if they have enough staff working nights, then there is no need for  your manager to fire someone just so you can have a crack at working the busier hours, doesn't work that way.

3. Should you leave? I think you should, its clear you aren't getting enough hours to financially support yourself here, time to start looking for other employment.

i would talk to your manager about it

• Judy

Uh, you can ask your employer if you can change to a busier time, but they'd have to move someone else from a busier to the slower time, so they'd probably say no. Apply somewhere else.

No, I don't think it's the customer service or management.

I also really doubt that the surrounding restaurants have not seen a downturn.

It's January...

All restaurants are slow.  This is a general seasonal situation.  If you work in waitstaff, this is to be expected and you should plan for it.

Your restaurant management is probably unable to accommodate any hours change request.  And it's not likely that you are going to get hired elsewhere until later in the year.