HELP my toilet is broke?

The tank is leaking but from the bottom. There are screws to the tank on both bottom sides of it and their leaking. How do i fix it? I turned the water off 

16 Answers

Relevance
  • WOOWHO
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

# 1  go to the  local hardware store

# 2  Purchase a toilet  "RING "

# 3  READ directions on  toilet ring package

#4 unbolt toilet and remove to the side

#5remove damaged toilet ring and replace with NEW ring 

# 6 return toilet to position and bolt in place

• 1 month ago

the rubber washers on the bolts have

perished .

remove the bolts then dry the inside of the

cistern .

Then put silicone on the area where the washers are and replace 

• zipper
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Call a pumper, You most likely need a new seal; and they can be a ***** to replace or the tank may have a small crack in it.

• 1 month ago

Typically this occurs when someone leans back onto the tank too hard while doing their business!

You may have a crack where the bolts connect. Home Depot and Lowe's both sell tank kits that you could use to replace the seals and bolts. But take it apart first to see if it is worth repairing since you may need a new toilet assembly if anything is cracked.

Source(s): EXAMPLE: You will have to find the one for your size tank. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fluidmaster-Rubber-3-25-i...
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • falcon
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

The seal between the tank and the toilet bowl need to be replaced while you do that replace the tank screws and washers to .You might need to saw off the bolts to remove the tank so better call a plumber. 

• Edd S
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

Very  likely the correct answer.  Retightening the bolts won't do the job.  The seal needs to be replaced.

• 1 month ago

Wax ring would be something to look at.

• mermeliz
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Wax ring is in between the commode and floor! This leak is up on top of the commode in between the tank and the commode!

• 1 month ago

Or you can get a new ONE PIECE toilet. I have two here and there is never a leak. However, they cost more. 

• 1 month ago

i have no idea.

• 1 month ago

those are the screws that hold the tank to the base. they have rubber washers that prevent the water from leaking out. you get new screws over at your home improvement store. take photo of the screws and the name plate on your toilet, the sales guy in plumbing will help you find what you need. the replacement is a DIY job

Source(s): grampa
    • Marvinator
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

The tank screws are universal.  Been there, done that. 

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/plumbing/toilets/toilet-repair-parts/4834883?x429=true&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KCQiAjfvwBRCkARIsAIqSWlMb1KGSh1VURcq9sbaRzlceSgc4j3ROGMbQ3kOYQvXnABTsVPSZRsQaAixLEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• 1 month ago

There's a rubber seal between the tank and the bowl. Tightening the bolts SHOULD stop the leak. If it doesn't, you need to replace the seal.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.