How much can a college student charge to tutor other college students?

My daughter has been tutoring math since about 10th grade. She's now a second semester freshman in college. She took Honors Algebra, Honors Geometry, Honors Algebra 2, Pre AP Pre Calculus and AP Calculus in high school. She made a 750 on the math portion of the SAT, and made an A in Calculus 2 last semester. She absolutely loves math. She recently tutored someone in Cacl 1 for his final (one time thing) and his mom voluntarily paid her $35. She now wants to market herself for tutoring and is wondering if $35/hour is a fair price, or too much.

She got $20/hour when she was in high school to tutor middle school students in math. She came highly recommended by her teachers and she was dependable so the parents paid it. 

The mom voluntarily paid $35/hour for 2.5 hours.  $90.

• drip

Almost every university has an on campus tutoring center that is free to all enrolled students. 

She will find many Graduate students are doing private tutoring.  

She may want to market herself to Middle and high schools students. It really is what the market will bare.  My daughter’s university was in  the area of middle to high income families.  They would pay for tutoring for their child to do well in math and on the SAT.

My son in law was at his university five year getting his Master and Doctorate degree.  The university has a large international student student population. They will pay for one on one tutoring.  They pay what ever the asking price is. Many have their whole degree riding on passing a STEM class. And they are going to want the best. My SIL was a TA, the head TA and a teacher of chemistry classes during his five years. College students are not going to pay for an undergrad to tutor them. 

She needs to start low, build a customer base and good recommendations. Then raise her prices with new incoming students.  

Have her meet them at the public library. Many offer quiet rooms for free. You just need to reserve them.

• MS

It's really depends on what people are willing to pay.  College students, as a group, do not often have a lot of financial resources and their parents may not either.  I know that most students at my university could not afford $35 an hour for tutoring, no matter how badly they needed it.  We also have a tutoring center on campus where students can be tutored for free, and that is common; the tutoring center pays the student tutors, but I know it's not anywhere close to $35 an hour. 

But this absolutely will vary by region, by demand, etc.  She can certainly put herself out there for $35 an hour and see if she gets any takers.  If not, she'll probably have to lower her price.  If she's overwhelmed with responses, then she can consider raising it the next time she advertises.  

That's absurdly LOW! Your daughter is selling herself short - seriously short! University math students can usually charge $75 - 100/hour for math tutoring. And in major metro areas, higher-cost areas like Metro NYC, experienced math tutors are charging $125-150/hr. When your daughter was a high school sophomore starting out, $35-40/hr was fine. But it's way too low now!

• Laurie

Nearly every school has a tutoring service, comprised of student tutors, especially for math and chemistry. Call them and find out how much their tutors charge.

When my sister went to college after retiring from the military, she hired a graduate student to tutor her in organic chemistry. He charged $125/hr... and he was in high demand. 

She needs to research her college or area.  Anyone can charge anything they want -- the question is whether or not people in her area will pay that amount given her "credentials" and the availability of other tutors and what those tutors charge.  

If she lists herself at $35/hr and doesn't get any calls, she will know that she's charging to much.  If she gets more business than she can handle, she can consider raising her prices. 

• Susie

Personally, I think it’s too much, but I don’t really know the going rate for tutors.