Shane G asked in TravelIrelandOther - Ireland · 2 months ago

Are Irish Jokes acceptable in the workplace?

As an Irishman who lives and works in England, in an office which works with Irish colleagues overseas back in Ireland, I often experience my English colleagues making fun of the Irish - or just down right discriminating against them after coming off the the phone. E.g incompetent Irish, thick Paddy, spud  pickers etc. 

I never say anything as I don’t want to rock the boat and strain my working relations, and if I were to call people out on it I don’t think it will change their prejudice.

Should I continue to suffer in silence or should I be looking for another job?

• Ludwig

Do you actually have much work experience? Generally, workplaces whether warehouse work, Office work, Retail etc. are not the same as comedy clubs. As you will discover when you leave school.

• Ludwig

Then you should be aware that the sort of joke that goes down well in a snooker hall will get you sacked in most work places.

Look for another job.

English bigoted rats like Ulster Protestant cousins in NI the British Protestant people never dominated anything they surrender to the IRA in 1998 Good Friday Agreement the Americans would have wiped out Irish Republicans and Ulster Protestants with napalm gas.

• Orla C

Turn it into banter and give it right back to them with a big smile. I have found that tends to lighten it. 

Brits out.................................................

• jamz

if they can make jokes at the irish, surely you can do the same against the brits

you know what they say about the royal family? its all related

• oikoσ

It depends on the joke. Some just aren't funny if you don't make it Irish; some are mean-spirited. The latter should be off limits.

Example: Someone starts telling a joke about two Jews walking down the street. His friend objects to "Jewish jokes" and asks him to change it to "Chinese". "Okay", his friend says, "Two Chinese friends are walking down the street to the Bar Mitzvah of the son of one of them . . . ."

With the right people, ethnic jokes can be derogatory but funny, sort of like The Dozens between two good friends. I was lucky enough to fall in with the international crowd when I worked in Yemen. Some of them could really sling the jokes and I don't think that ANY nationality was exempt. Prior to that, I had never heard any Belgian jokes but got quite an earful, one night. And English, Dutch, German . . . .

no its unacceptable by today's standards. i think that banter is ok if it goes both ways, but your colleagues are behaving derogatory towards people behind their backs. if it bothers you, dob the offenders in to your bosses, and move on to somewhere else. I don't think staying would be much good if you do. Alternatively, just mock them for what they are, snobs.

No, you should be reporting it...not that I am sure I believe it completely, as 1 Nearly a quarter of English people have Irish ancestors 2. Everyone knows talk like that can cost your your job. 

I wonder if they were just ribbing you, waiting for a response but most Irish people can give as good as they get...and usually better,

No ethnic jokes are acceptable.