Riding a Vespa, embarrassed?

I may buy a Vespa for my 15-year-old son (when he turns 16). My wife will ride sometimes as well. Is a Vespa embarrassing?

It would be a fun scooter, and he could get used to riding on two wheels before graduating to a motorcycle.

It beats the f**k out of walking.

• noname4 weeks agoReport

U mean, get a closed frame. v. a step thru. My Honda 50 was a step thru. just Like a scooter.

• adam

I think if you get a classic that has been restored its very cool.

No, Vespas are great little machines. I've only ever has motorbikes, but quite fancy a scooter and either a Vespa 200 or classic Lambretta Jet 200 in orange with a black stripe takes my fancy. 

Vespas are high quality scooters. They are not cheap compared to other scooters. They are economical to own and operate and are easy to ride and park. When I was 16 I would have loved to have a Vespa to ride to school and carry my girlfriend home on. I might have asked for something more sporty but would not have been ashamed or ungrateful to have a Vespa. I rode the bus and walked a lot when I was 16, and occasionally got to borrow my parent's car.

• Bort

Years ago Vespa's and motor scooters were considered a femanine vehicle. I don't think many people think that way anymore since when you see one on the road it's usually a male that's on it.

I think it's fair to think and say that as long as it's not pink or some other girlie color he'll most likely appreciate being able to get around on it.

As a father myself I would ask my son what he thinks about having a vespa to get himself around on before spending the money on it. If he isn't in favor of the idea he's probably not going to use it and if wife isn't going to use it enough to justify the money for it it's probably the best idea to not get it and use the money you plan on putting in to it on a different purchase.

I'm not saying let son make the decision I'm suggesting to ask him his opinion and how he feels about it. If he's not going to use it don't waste the money on it because it's just going to sit in the garage taking up space and collecting dust.

• noname1 month agoReport

Not "fem" in Europe or SE Asia. U don't know where poster is located. 

Not for a 15 or 16 year old it isn't! I know plenty of college kids that are riding them and two of them are sitting on them. Hell nowadays they're riding around on electric scooters like 12 year old kids used to ride if you can do that there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Vespa

Riding a scooter is like having sex with a fat chick- it is fun until someone sees you

• JetDoc

Actually, Vespa is kind of a cool little scooter.

Sir, your question is somewhat embarrassing.(and hard to answer)

Nothing wrong with riding a scooter or anything (except a hot-neon-pink one while smoking a cig and drinking a beer doing it on Main St.) 

• A.J.

Are you asking if it is acceptable for women in the USA to ride scooters like they do everywhere else in the world? Is there something wrong with women here that makes them unsuitable, or something wrong with men that think the women here are unsuitable?

A simple NO was not enough so I explained the question more specifically. Women in the USA are just as capable and able to do so as anywhere it is more common to see it.

Add per comment - I would be more concerned with theft.

These small scooters are for local use in secure locations only.

They are not highway legal because of low speeds.

Their limited use is why they are not as USA popular.

Also, people in USA finance more and pay off monthly, opting for used small cars if necessary as safer to use and more versatile.

• Anon

Only a Few highways have Posted that 15 under mean traffic spied. Which is contingent on s actual traffic, Not posted speed limit, I havent  sen this since LA freeway.  And, 200ccs Can keep up.