Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 9 months ago

Can I go to jail for a debt collector calling me and ignoring their calls and blocking them?

• falcon

No ....................

No. They stopped putting people in jail a long, long time ago, for owing money.

No, but all that will do is switch it to mail instead of calls, followed by bad credit and being sued if you ignore the mail.

No you cannot. Not in the US anyway.

No. But you'll wish you could. If you could just go to jail, then you would have a place to live and food to eat. But if you keep ignoring them, then your credit will be so bad that you won't be able to get a place to live, so you'll be homeless and realize that jail might have been preferable.

You can't be serious.

• Judy

no.........................................

• Mark

Nope.  Do you even HAVE the debt they are talking about? I get ridiculous "robocalls" trying to scare me:  "You're in trouble with the IRS.  Please call and set up a payment plan."  #1, I'm not in "trouble with the IRS", and #2 do the runners of such scams think that they will "scare" a person into giving out their social security number?

No. What you are dealing with is a CIVIL issue...not a CRIMINAL issue. I suggest that you talk to a lawyer and SETTLE the debt to start rebuilding your CREDIT. If you owe...$1000 as an example. You could settle the debt for FAR less. Eve make payments.

No.  Not from that. However, should they take you to court and win, they can dock your current pay.