Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRap and Hip-Hop · 1 month ago

why are old head hip hop fans so against new school rap and white rappers?

genre change and evolve.

old heads are stuck in their ways 

there are plenty of lyrical new school rap. the problem is that people think what you hear on the radio represents all hip hop

and btw, it wasn't like 80s rap artists were all that lyrical either 

no offense to run d.m.c but their lyrics and beats were simplistic at best 

listen to rappers like 21 savage, kendrick Lamar, future. chance the rapper, denzel curry, ski mask the slump god 

these guys have legit talent and flow 

No doubt, there are some great talents in the new school, who are still true to hip hop, but the reality is the mainstream has hijacked the genre, and is widely accepted.  If you don't come from the old school, I can see how you don't understand.  Before the "Bling-Bling" era there was a sacredness to hip hop that doesn't seem to exist much in the new school. 

This is me personally, but I define 'hip-hop/rap' as 'urban street music'.  It doesn't always have to be, but I generally think that is the essence of what the artform is.  You don't have to be overly lyrical either.  Having cleaver word play in every bar isn't what made hip-hip appealing, or what determined a good rapper.  Hip-hop originated as a 'movement' and had a social message to spread.

I could tell hip hop was heading this direction, long ago, and didn't care to follow it much anymore, in the early 2000s.  It just wasn't going to be what it used to be, and that sucked for a lot of people (happens in almost every genre).  I've tried my best not to be a hater, and can acknowledge there are still amazing artist out there.  Since I don't follow it like I used to, I try not to have too strong of an opinion about it.  

I don't agree that the old school is against white rappers.  Maybe certain white rappers, by not white rappers in general.  I don't remember anyone from my day who did not accept Eminem a legit rapper.  There were very many, but white rappers been in the game for a long time, and could be there unless they had skills like anyone else.  Maybe it the white rappers promoting "suburban street music" are the one's some people have a problem with.  

I just don't find myself relating to much of what's out there.  For a long time, only a small percentage of rappers would be considered heat in from my day.  Most people I know who still listen to hip hop, usually listen to stuff I approve of, but I know that isn't what typically being played.  The guys you mention are killer, from what little I heard from them, and props to you for keeping it 100.

However, it think, overall, us old school heads find todays hip hop as "soft" and "overly feminine".  There's just too much stuff that would pass back in the day.  I mainly listen to a lot of underground stuff, and its sad to think about all the great music, younger generations will never hear.  Hope you go back and see what's up, if you haven't already.

*sigh* generalities are always false. Define old school. Define new school. Is it a matter of when they were created or a style? If it’s when they were created, there are plenty who think good music is timeless and exists in every era and others who think the one they were born in is superior. If it’s style, nothings died out. It’s just moved around. Plenty of new artists are inspired by older music. But like you said, it just doesn’t always get the radio play. Now define white music. Define black music. It’s like the whole “guest in hip hop” thing Lord Jamar aimed at Eminem, nicely responded to by Mesus, who said, “music has no color”, explaining how that’s like saying that Michael Jordan was a guest in basketball because it was invented by a white person. 

I for instance love rap songs from some of its earliest moments straight to today. I have a strict standard for content, which is why I don’t bang as many popular rap artists as much as I used to. That said, I do admire the talents and contributions to the culture that artists who produce little to nothing I would listen to today have. For instance, I haven’t heard anything from Cardi B I like but I admire how her sample of “I like it like that” made a lot of people aware of a really good song made a long time ago. That’s hip hop culture doing it’s thing right there, and she was one the conduits that expanded a lot of people’s minds to what’s out there.

Ultimately good music exists in every era, and people of all kinds make it, and there are people of all kinds who exist in every area who can appreciate that.

• Seff

Twisted Insane has the best flow. 

• Nancy

That's not an old and new thing.  That's a race thing.  Among the old, you find the likes of Beastie Boys and Eminem, who are white, but nobody legit in the RAP or hip-hop world denies them their full cred.  I mean, without Eminem, we wouldn't have 50 Cent; without Beastie Boys, we wouldn't have Drake, who himself is half white.

Because most new rap isn’t lyrical, that’s what old heads enjoy.