Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 9 months ago

Anyone can learn how to program taking an Udemy crash course. So why are programmers so highly paid?

Hi. Because the people who learn through a crash course are not the kind of people who choose to do something for 40+

hours a week, that REQUIRES them to focus on a screen & keyboard & essentially block out real-world distractions.

This takes a passion that can't be filled by a simple crash-course.

The people who learn from crash courses are only in it for the money, but sadly won't get anything worth paying them a high salary for from any single  crash course.

Plus, not all Programmers are "highly paid".

G'Luck!!!

Source(s): REQUIRES them to focus on a small screen
  • K-SiS

You can start programming by taking any course like Udemy, but Proficiency matters in case of programming and that proficiency pays more. Computer is very Dumb than human being so you have to detail each and every probable event and exception handling, and this requires an experience and also an art.

• VP

Anyone can learn how to drive.  Doesn't make us all racecar drivers.  There are other skills needed that you are either unaware of or overlooking.

• keerok

Anyone can learn how to program but not everyone has the knack and the patience to actually make one.

I like that old saying here: "Don't tell me.  Show me!"

Take that crash course, and then write a nontrivial program without using web help. (Reference sites like cppreference.com or docs.python.org are okay, but Y!A, StackOverflow, etc. are not.)

A generalized Sudoku solver is a pretty good test.  It's got data structures (for the board and moves), data presentation (a GUI would be nice, but after just a crash course probably a console UI is best), algorithms (recursion with backtracking, choice between depth-first and breadth-first search), high-school level math (integer permutations and sets), and practicality (must finish in seconds, not hours).

By the way, this should handle custom board sizes, like the 16x16 board (with 4x4 "cages") or the 6x6 mini board (with either 2x3 or 3x2 cages), etc.

What's the crash course turnaround? Six weeks?  Nine to twelve might be more like it.  See you then...

• Smokie

Knowledge is only part of it. The good ones have skills to go with the knowledge.

• EddieJ

Getting through an introductory course doesn't mean that you are good at something.

I have a degree in electrical engineering, but I decided that I preferred to be a computer programmer.  I never worked as an electrical engineer.

Most programmers have a 4-year degree.  Someone who already has a degree in something else *might* be able to get a programming job after *also* taking the Udemy course.  But *just* a Udemy course isn't going to be given much credit by a potential employer.

Try to get a programming job with your "crash course" degree.