Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 1 month ago

How to know whether hanging something is not too heavy for my plasterboard?

My walls are plasterboard. Too my knowledge they can be a bit fragile. They're not brick walls after all.

I want to hang a wall photoframe onto my plasterboards. I know I need to use plasterboard screws. But how can I be certain that even using those screws, my photoframe is not TOO heavy for my walls?

Hop on the bathroom scales with it. That will tell you the weight. Even the lightest duty pb fixing would probably give you enough support. (I have mirrors hung on single nails in pb.) If you you use several fixings you can share the load across them. What you do for bigger things (like TVs) is find where the vertical studs are that are carrying the plasterboard and fix to those  - which is how you can mount furniture like crockery cabinets to plasterboard without making your floor look like that of a Greek taverna at closing time. 

weigh the framed photo. plasterboard with two proper anchors spaced at least 12 inches [30 cm] apart is easily capable of supporting 75 pounds [35 kg]

If it is a photo frame, it isn't even close to the weight limit.