Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 1 month ago

Why Does EVERY Girl Want to be a Model/Actress/YouTube Star?

It's astounding. There's millions and millions of girls trying to be actresses and "YouTube famous", yet we have a HUGE nursing and doctor shortage....

What can we do about this problem in society? I'm a nurse myself, but I'm scared that when I get old, no one will be around to take care of me because only "Instagram models" will be around :(

• Athena

The glamour and ignoring the work.

Because they want the money and fame without "the work". 

My mother is an ICU RN and I thought about becoming a nurse like her, but only briefly. I started work as a CNA at minimum wage and I HATED it. I worked 10-hour shifts doing personal care and transfers. The client didn't appreciate it at all and I felt gross. My parents encouraged me to look into the local Nursing Program at our college. 

It looked like I would have enjoyed the educational side of it, but the clinicals were what ultimately made me change my mind completely. As for becoming a doctor that requires so much schooling (like 8 years worth plus your residency which is typically another 3-7 years) and you are liable for everything and have to have your own insurance. 

I am 26-years-old now and because of my full-time job, I just started doing my college pre-reqs last year. If I were to become a nurse I'd be at least 30-years-old by the time I could start working again. If I decided to take the doctor route I'd be looking at finishing my residency at almost 40-years-old. 

Also, girls want to travel and enjoy life instead of working 12-26 hour shifts and having to spend hours in a call room all by themselves. Not to mention the fact that in hospitals people DIE, and most people would rather not experience that. Death is traumatic and I commend those who can handle it.

TLDR: Most girls want to feel pretty, they want to travel, and most importantly they think that these things will achieve happiness. Nursing and Doctor careers are almost the exact opposite. They would feel gross and they would never get any time off. To most girls that is a lose/lose.

Most know they won't have a chance of stardom, but that doesn't stop them wanting it. That is why we have careers advisors in schools, although most of the ones I came across were worse than useless. Rather surprised you would imply only girls can become nurses, but that may not have been your intention.

Most kids don’t have a lot of interactions being nurses. They do with YouTube personalities. It’s within their realm of experience so they’re more likely to daydream about those things.  They want to be movie stars, professional athletes, and other supposedly glamorous jobs.  If you actually talk to them, carry on a conversation, you’ll find most are interested in the idea of these jobs and not the reality.  And if you ask specific questions, they get more practical. It’s more about dreaming of being recognized, feeling listened to, wanting to feel accepted and having a sense of control.  They feel people in those jobs have all that.

As they mature they realize that’s not the case and that there are other careers that can give them what they’re looking for. They’ll also realize that having a lot of followers is not the same as having good, strong relationships.  

And regardless of what career people choose, they have to take responsibility for their own life. Not every nursing job is the same - there are good employers and bad employers.  People need to protect against burnout and not define themselves by their job - whatever that job may be.  “Work-life balance” is a real thing.

The nursing industry is addressing some of the issues in getting and maintaining professionals.  I suspect that will continue.

• Tina

Well - it's not really as if everyone has a choice beween training as a doctor or an actress.There are also estate agents...

• Cogito

It's not as bad as that!  Many kids have that dream, just as millions of little boys have dreams of being a racing car driver or an actor or a superhero!

But almost all of them find out as they go through puberty and discover reality that they need to be realistic.

Of course, many do work hard to become actors - my own daughter included.  However, the reality is nothing like they imagine - no red carpets and fame - just years of training, hard work, criticism, failure and they almost all have to work an ordinary job alongside acting their whole lives just to pay their bills.

Models - when most girls find out that 99.9% of models just end up doing catalogue work they get real and try for a real career.

And wanting to be on Youtube is just a way of craving attention.  That's normal.

Yes, we have a huge nursing and doctor shortage but that's mainly due to the terrible pressure that students face when entering the field of medicine.  They're expected to work really long hours and deal with very emotionally and physically difficult issues when they're barely out of school.  Thousands drop out because of that.  We need to encourage and nurture our future nurses and doctors!

Well done for choosing that career yourself - you're valued by almost everyone - and very much undervalued by society!

• Stella

You have a point, but admissions to medical school and even nursing programs are very competitive.  It's not like these spots are going unfilled.

• y

While my daughter would like to be on stage someday, she is not putting herself all over the place like that. She will be double majoring next year in school/college, college where she has already been accepted.  At one point, not that many years ago, her dream was MIT, being a scientist, school/teachers are what killed her dream. Although she has taken all the supposed right math and science courses, every year in at least one of those subjects, she has had asses for teachers. She is still high honors, but these teachers who have lost any love for it, put her off of those subjects. It isn't Youtube, or any of that crap, it is what really is happening within our schools and their inability to remove and replace, teachers that are burned out.

This problem existed LONG before there was even computers, let alone social media. Women have always judged themselves by external beauty. Desire of being attractive has been around as long as we have been human beings.

Get used to it.

• No Bozos

Yes, but it is a problem that will morph itself into the human construct no matter what the delivery venue is. That's because the source is ingrained in the human psyche and will never be deleted or even mitigated.

Not so astounding.  Million of boys want to be pro athletes. In the past they wanted to be astronauts and before that, cowboys.  Kids fantasize.  And as for you, you're no nurse. Nurses are smart and well educated and don't usually ask dumb questions.  "Only instagram models will be around?"  Sheesh !!!!