Living in a car?

My best friend and I are planning to move into a car together in the next year or two. We both have abusive parents and are saving up money until we have enough between us to move. We know we won't have enough for an apartment, so we plan on just living in my car and traveling a lot. I know that gas is expensive, and car insurance and phone bills are too, and traveling across the country all the time is going to cost quite a lot in gas. We plan on doing odd jobs for people on Craigslist in whatever city we happen to be in at the time to make money, but aside from that, what do we need? How much money should we put into an emergency fund in case the car needs repairs? What essentials do we need? We already know we'll need a cooler, some good water bottles, a few blankets, and a few outfits between us, but we're minimalists and travel light, so we won't be too over loaded with stuff. Where can we take showers? Is there anywhere that we can do laundry for free, or will we absolutely have to pay a laundromat? We also plan on getting a traitor and a tiny house as a slightly more permanent solution when we save up enough money. We're both very responsible, and have talked about multiple scenarios and possible things that could go wrong. We're already working to save money for this and making plans to leave as soon as we're able to, so please don't be rude and try to say that this won't work. I'm simply asking how to pay bills without an address, and what we'll need.

I'm aware that living in a car is hard. I am aware that its dangerous. That's another reason we're doing it together. So we'll always have somebody to watch the other's back. I know it won't be easy, and things are undoubtedly going to get hard. But none of you know what goes on in our homes. We are both adults. We are simply waiting until we've saved enough money for this. But please just answer my question and stop telling me things that I already know. 

Contact your state's homeless services for places where you can go for showers and laundry. They also may be able to help you secure permanent housing at a discount. (i.e. Section 8.)

just to be honest this does not sound like a good idea to me but i would at least want $3,500 saved just for potential car troubles alone but then there's gas and i have a feeling finding odd jobs in whatever city you're in could be difficult i feel like you will possibly find a job here and there but i don't think that's a reliable source of income honestly. to answer your shower question a lot of gas station/truck stops offer showers to truck drivers and motorists i think you can pay for. i was in one and it was also a gas station and an automated voice on the loudspeaker was like "Shower 4 - Open" if this is what you're gonna do be warned i don't think it sounds like a good idea maybe if it was a vacation for a few weeks with a friend but not as a lifestyle honestly but that is just my opinion. if you want my two cents i would use the money you guys want to save for car troubles and rent an apartment together and get jobs and go to school to have a good job for your future. remember, you can honestly be anything you want to be in life. not just an electrician or a doctor, i'm going to college to become a computer animator and am so excited to one day work from home and be able to make animated films i can show to others to bring my day dreams to life. find a career you can make money off of and look forward to one day doing and pursue it. things at home may be hard now but i would still consider settling down and graduating with a degree to secure a financially-stable and also fun and amazing future for yourself rather than jumping the gun and living out of a car with little money just to get out of a bad situation. if this is for shizzzle what you want to do then more power to you but yea had to put my two cents in for what it's worth and hopefully help, i hope i didn't offend you in any way with my opinions and i wish you luck.

The reasons why this will not work are basic. If you can afford to buy, insure, maintain and fuel a car, you can afford to become someone's roommates, which will give you a lot more room and comforts, as well as places to store clothes and wash them, as well as take showers.

If you intend to work for money while you do this, your issues with cleanliness, both of your bodies and clothes, will get you fired in short order.

Test it for yourself: Rent or borrow a car and try to live in it for a week. By then, you should be cured of this absurdly delusional 'plan'.

You'll have to do more research. In theory you can shower at YMCA locations and use public libraries for computer time. But you'd having to factor in the costs of the former plus what it'll cost to do your laundry at laundromats. Some of this stuff you simply can't get for free. You'll also need to know the laws in the places you're stopping. Sleeping in a car is illegal in a lot of places. Another thing you seem to be naive about is how victimized the homeless usually are. I live in L.A. where gangbangers are charging people "rent" to pitch a tent on the sidewalk or park their car along city streets. There's a lot of violence involved with being homeless.

• drip

If you keep moving you will never get ahead.

And you will find many areas will be apt to wake you and have you move. No over night sleeping in cars.  Do your research on laws in the area,Try HUD or other homeless organizations. They can get you a better, safer place to live, and help with a full time job and help you get an apartment.You could find more help in larger cities.  More opportunities for a full time job too. They will have showers and can help with laundry. You will get on your feet and more independent quicker.  If you are in one area you can get with a temp agency for work.  A good way to get into a full time employed job.  Factories are often looking for help and do go through temp agencies.  They usually pay well and have decent benefits. Many banking and bills can be done online now. Libraries are a good source for free wifi.  They can also give you information about legitimate charities and help in the area.Ask the post office about a PO box and forwarding mail.Check out trucking stops for low priced showers. You don’t have to be a trucker to use them.https://www.nonforceddispatch.com/tips-safe-sleepi...

• John

You watch too much TV.  Life on the road is hard and treacherous.

>me things that I already know. 

You don't understand. You DON'T know. I grew up on the road, hitchhiked around the west for 6 months, all kinds of things.

• Alex1 month agoReport

You're one to talk? Which one of us is keeping the argument going here? Okay, boomer.

• Murzy

Get a mailbox at a UPS Store and they can receive your mail and forward it to you.

• Alex1 month agoReport

Good to know! Thanks!

Try living in a car in your yard for a few hours ....if you don't mind that ... try it again for a few days .

I'm not an adult an I Don t know but