Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSTDs · 1 month ago

My ex might have herpes? How to avoid?

My ex and I had sex over a year ago, and I know for sure that I have no diseases because I was checked recently. He showed up last week with cold sores by and on his lip, and when they finally went away it was never brought up. However, his friends constantly call him Tuna Can and he casually brought up that he had herpes with his friends in a joking fashion. Frankly, I could care less BUT I work with him and I don't want any of that. Does he have it and can I avoid it?

Your question doesn't make sense. If you don't currently have it, how will you catch it,

if you and he are no longer together??

Just don't eat or drink after him, especially while he has an outbreak.

• Cold sores are caused by the oral herpes virus. 

I'm not sure why any one would call some one with herpes'tuna can'....What a weirdo. 

The ways you can get oral herpes is through kissing on the mouth, sharing cups or utensils while he has a cold sore, or letting him give you oral sex while he has a cold sore. When he's in between break outs, it's less likely to be passed on.

If he didn't have cold sores the last time you had sex, you're not likely to have herpes.

Cold sores are a form of herpes, but just because someone gets cold sores, it doesn't mean they also have genital herpes. genital herpes is a completely different strain of the herpes virus.

even so, a person can have both at the same time.

You tested negative so why are you all worried about it? You can avoid it by not kissing the guy when his cold sores are active/seeping.

Not sure what you mean avoid it--are you still intimate? Then its a risk. Cold sores is herpes, so while active dont kiss him etc.

How would we know

• kelvin

you do not have herpes from him

by not having sex with him

Don't kiss or have sex with him then! It isn't hard to avoid getting an STD with someone you aren't sleeping with.