Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 1 month ago

How much would a small Electric Heater cost to run ?

I have this smallish heater and I used it at night when I wake up because I'm cold or something. Sooo I need to know how much electricity this uses ever hour and how much that would cost because our electric bill was over 100 dollars! And I just cant fathom that this little heater would use up so much electricity. Maybe it does tho? Oof. heres the link for the heater https://www.qvc.com/Holmes-1Touch-1500-Watt-Ultra-...

I will admit that I don't know a lot about electricity. However, while on hold waiting for a light and power representative, there was a pre-recorded message about how to save electricity. One of the things that was mentioned is if you're going to use a space heater, using one with a fan requires more electricity. Therefore you should have Lloyd space heaters that have fans because it would cost you more to run.

The average electric heater uses around 1500 Watts which would increase your electric bill.

You are billed per kilo-watt-hour (kwh). A kwh is using electricity rated at 1000 watts for an hour. Heaters like your 1500 watt heater on it's highest setting use 1.5 kwh per hour. In the US the average cost for electricity is about 13¢ per kwh, so that heater could easily cost about 20¢ per hour. 6 hours a night, 30 days a month, one heater could quickly add $36 or more to your electric bill. 

Electricity prices vary widely, you should be able to look at your bill and see the cost you pay per kilo-watt-hours (kwh).

You need to know the KW rating of the heater and the cost of electricity per KW where you are.

I pay 20 cents per kilowatt hour where I live. So that heater would cost me 30 cents per hour to run.

• elhigh

An electric space heater will not reduce your electric bill unless you change how you're using the rest of the system.

If you have an electric heat pump, the heat pump is probably more effective at making heat than the heater is.  Even an old heat pump will usually make more heat per watt of electricity consumed than a space heater; newer ones are more effective than that, while also being more effective in colder weather.

In order to save money by using a heat pump, you must:

1) Turn your main thermostat down.  Pretty far down.

2) Bundle up!  Clothes are bought and paid for, while the utility bill comes every month.  More clothes = warmer you, without any extra expense.

3) Keep the heater where you are.  The closer you keep it to you, heating ONLY you, the lower you can turn it because you aren't wasting its heat on anything else.

The heater you linked uses 1500 watts on its high setting.  Where I live, at my utility's $0.125 per kilowatt-hour, that would be $4.50 per day if it's going all day long.  Over a month, that's as much as $140.

Consider other alternative that don't waste energy heating the air.  What's important is heating YOU and nothing else, and that's actually kind of cheap.  My wife, for instance, uses a heated pet pad to sit on at the sofa.  It keeps her very warm but doesn't affect me at all - and I like it much cooler than she does.  Between that and a sofa blanket, she's perfectly comfortable.

Same at night: a heated mattress pad makes the bed feel quite warm - it's very easy to wind up much too warm, in fact - but the pad only pulls about 100 watts at full power.  Even if you left it on all day long - and why would you? - it would only consume about $9.50 worth of electricity per month.

Look at your heating solutions and strongly consider how you can focus your efforts more closely on what matters.  I think you'll find that economizing can be quite achievable and you'll really enjoy the difference it makes in your utility bill.

Probably use a few dollars a day. Depends on the cost for your electricity and how long you run it for. It uses up to 1.5kW/Hr. If you use it on high and you pay $.10 per kW/Hr of electricity it could cost up to $3.60 for 24 hours of use.

if i was you i would withdraw this question ..i think your electric supplier has made a mistake ..should be a lot more ..as others say ..its like 15 light bulbs @100w ...that a lot ..leave it off get a proper duvet ...bet you dont leave window open at night ...you should to ventilate 

That uses 1500 watts, or 1.5 kilowatts, per hour. How much do you pay for electricity?  Have a look at your bill, it should show the cost per kilowatt, also often known as "units".

Well, although it may be small in size, it draws 1500 watts of power. This is definitely the culprit that is sucking up your electrical bill! It is like running fifteen 100 watt light bulbs. 1500 watts on a 120 Volt circuit is 12-1/2 Amps! Ewww Wee that's some juice. Your bill should be closer to $200 a month! It could even start a fire in your electrical system if any of the wiring in that circuit was a little bit loose connection. It would arc at the loose connection and create heat and then ignite inside your walls! I do not allow electrical heaters to be used in my own home! An electric blanket would be cheaper to use and safer!

Source(s): retired electrician