Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareOther - General Health Care · 2 months ago

Is 7hrs of sleep okay for a 18 year old female?

Since I've started working I've only been able to get around 6.5 - 7hrs of sleep a night. I've always been told to get atleast 8 if not 9 hrs for my age. I haven't been able to.  But I have been trying to make time for a half hour nap every day after I get off work. 

Favorite Answer

i think you're getting adequate sleep but the optimum would be at least eight hours.

• M.P.

No, teenagers are still young & growing, their brains developing, plus hormones raging so they tend to sleep 9-12 hrs and that's normal (every parent complains of their teens sleeping till noon!). You can sleep less but you might not develop properly, you'll age faster, your memory & intelligence may be slower, you may not grow as tall as you were meant to. Remember, humans recharge their batteries while they sleep, they regenerate new skin cells, grow, balance themselves psychologically, all during that unconscious state of slumber.

Why do you mean by okay?  The short answer is, no.  Teenagers' (and you are a teenager) brains are still forming and they tend to need 8-9 hours of sleep.  That noted, why are you only getting 7 hours and why are you taking a nap?  Is this a job in addition to school?  What are the hours?  What else is taking up you time?

The "best" sleep is around 8 hours -- with at least 4 of those hours before 12 midnight.  I can't tell you why, but research shows that the hours before 12 have a greater impact on health, energy, mental sharpness.  That noted, you get what you can get. I'd suggest you skip the nap and go to bed earlier.  You also need to look at the job, the hours, and what else is going on in your life.  If you are still a full-time student, you should probably focus more on school and less on working. If you need to work so be it.  If you are only working and working about 40 hours a week, there is no reason you shouldn't be getting 8+ hours.

• Zirp

Sleepneeds vary from one person to the next. If you don't need coffee or energy-drinks to get going in the morning, you probably are getting enough sleep

7 is fine but if time is so limited it may be impinging on your quality of life. if you start to feel miserable day in and out you might need to make some changes to fix it.