Is my neighbour tapped into my electric supply?

When I 1st moved into my current detached bungalow my electric wasnt too painful. Then the landlord built another bungalow next door. They tapped into my electric supply by plugging a cable into an external socket (which they overloaded and nearly caught fire!) They aparently had authorisation to do this by my landlord (even tho it's me who pays for the electric the Nobber!) Anyway, my electric bill has jumped up alot. I know prices etc go up but I'm paying now approx £60-£80 per week now where before it was around £40ish. (Its winter and I have night storage heating but didnt think it took much electric during daytime hours, just on the E7 time?) Is it possible when the place was built they connected to my supply underground??? Is there a way of finding out? Cheers. 

Favorite Answer

im a builder uk ..as others say turning off everything the meter should not move ...if they have connected to your supply turning your off should turn anything off next door that is connected to you ..but they do another trick ..they tap into the supply before the meter ..but you would not be charged for that as you only get charged whats going through your meter ...economy 7 is still expensive ..far more than gas ..lighting is cheap ..especially if you fit LED bulbs ..so switch off all sockets ..fridge ..cooker  telly ..every socket ..then all lights ..take meter reading ..then check in an hour ..it should not have moved ...do it when your neighbours are in ..if its moved theres a problem

If you are the bill payer, the contract for the supply of electricity is between you and the electric company. Your neighbour is stealing from you if they intercept your supply after the meter position wihtout YOUR express consent.

Yes there is a way turn off everything in your house including the refrigerator and the hot water heater and then go look at the meter and see if the meter is still spinning around and if it is then you know somebody tapped into your electricity.

• Murzy

The electric company can check it out.

• Tavy

For goodness sake Lisa phone your supplier on Monday. What they did was illegal and your meter needs to be checked.

Tell them what you have told us.

UK.

• STEVEN F

Lisa: If you were told that, you need to tell them they should send the bill to the landlord. WHEN they say they can't, Inform them that they WILL do one or the other if they don't want the government to demand they explain why not.