Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheatre & Acting · 1 month ago

Do you think a shy person with social anxiety and depression can get out of their shell and become an award winning screen actor?

Do you think a shy person, who is VERY shy, can hardly talk to anybody without shaking or having a panic attack, can break out of their shell and become an award winning actor? Do you think this is possible?

A friend once told me, "Someone without the born talent of being an actor is not going to be able to be an actor." Do you agree with this?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

no i do not okay okay

• 1 month ago

It is very possible for that to happen, but it is also very hard.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes you can. I heard heith ledger was very shy in person.

• Speed
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Listen well to Athena and Cogito. Their words on this subject are golden.

And allow me to tell you about Elizabeth and Georgina. (I know one, know of the other.) They both had social anxiety at a near-crippling level--avoiding social gatherings, hating to speak aloud in class or at meetings, tongue-tied around boys and later men, essentially happy with their own company, busy with crafts, devoted readers.

But they both found that when they were acting, they were not their socially anxious selves. They were someone else--maybe someone loud and confident, or hilarious, or a beauty, or a damaged soul, whatever the role called for. Sure, auditions were utterly miserable right up until they slipped inside the skin of a character, but acting was freeing for them both.

Georgina made her living at it, in supporting roles. Elizabeth is involved in community theatre and is an aspiring playwright.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Athena
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Most award winning screen actors are depressed and anxious.

BTW, become and actor does NOT mean you will be an award winning one.

Many actors have long and successful careers without being "stars."

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

First - getting to be an actor is one thing.  Many people achieve that.  Getting to be a professional actor is really hard.  Not many people can do that.  Getting more than a few odd days' paid acting work and not having to work an ordinary job alongside acting to afford to live - that's rare.  Becoming a top, award-winning actor - that's incredibly unlikely for anyone at all.

Being a bit shy isn't a problem.  I know many actors and most of them are quite shy in real life.  Having social anxiety - that would be a problem.  If you could overcome that, it's possible to act.  But as acting involves not being afraid to make a complete idiot of yourself and being laughed at, criticised, told you're awful and feeling like a failure on a daily basis, it's going to be impossible if you can't deal with that.

As for a "shy person who is very shy, can hardly talk to anybody without shaking or having a panic attack" - imagining that they could cope with the life of an actor is totally unrealistic.  And winning awards isn't what actors think about when considering it as a career.  They really aren't important.Your friend is right - someone born without natural talent is not going to be able to be an actor.  You can't teach anyone talent.  I've met a young man who had been attending the best classes from the age of 6, performed regularly with his school drama clubs (but always got very small roles) and whose parents bought him a place at a good drama school but it was obvious to everyone that by the age of 25 he had zero talent.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.