Is the “The Office” a documentary?

show just recently came to country. I am confused if this is documentary or not. I have seen some people-in other shows but am Confused. Is this their job in Real life  Thank you

4 Answers

Relevance
  • EddieJ
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

As others explained, it's filmed as if a documentary was being done.  It is based on a British series of the same name.

British show usually have short seasons, so pulling it off as a mockumentary isn't quite as far-fetched as it might seem in the longer US seasons.  

After the show was on for years, the US version let up a bit on the strictly documentary format, which some people criticized.

"Modern Family" also uses the mockumentary style, which seems even weirder because there would seem to be no reason for anyone to be doing a documentary.  It turns out that they originally had an explanation that included additional characters, but they decided they didn't need to bother with an explanation.

Basically, it allows the characters to break the "4th wall" and share their thoughts with the audience.  This was done a long time ago on "The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show" but they didn't need the faux documentary to do it.

• 1 month ago

No, It's not a documentary. It's fiction.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

are you watching the American version or the British version? I think they are both true

• 1 month ago

It's a fictional.comedy show.  Part of the plot is they are filming a documentary. But that's just part of the plot. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.