Why do americans write the date with the day second. Surly the natural sequence is day, month, year.?

Why do americans write the date with the day second. Surely the natural sequence is day, month, year.

I don't know why it's done that way. I'm not sure that logic enters into it at all, in either system. It's just custom. Surely the logical thing to do is mention the year first, then month, then day.

That way you start off knowing what year is being discussed, then you can get into the details. I would find that more useful when doing things like filing bills, for instance, or gathering receipts for tax purposes.

I never ever use numerals only if I'm writing a date. Being here in Canada, where we sometimes fall halfway between the US and the UK in usages, I am never sure which system someone else is using. If it says 03/09/2019, is that March 9 or September 3? Without some clue in the rest of the document, there is no way to tell what day is meant. If one of the numbers is 13 or higher, then we know it refers to a day. Otherwise, you can't tell.

Yeah you're right. I don't know what it is, it seems like they like to make things up.

Calendar dates can be written in a wide variety of ways in English, and often depend on formal or informal writing, personal style and whether you are writing British or American English. Whatever the format, in British English, dates are usually written in the order day – month – year , while in American English they are written month – day – year. 

Because their early leaders wanted America to be separate in every way including language.  They have since made random changes in order to form ''American English''.

They have succeeded.  American English is preferred now to British English in schools around the world.

The natural sequence would be from most significant to least significant thus:

year month day.

When speaking, today would be January the 15th in "proper" English (not 15th of January), which is the pattern Americans follow.

But, almost everyone else prefers to write it as 15th of January, 2020

People say January 11th, 2020, not 11 January 2020.  Month, day, year makes sense based on how people have described dates for centuries.

Best is year/month/day.  That way you can do a simple numeric ordering and get the dates in proper sequence.

20020822 = 22-aug-2002

• Laurie

Because the date means nothing without the month. Put the most important information first.

Why don't Europeans write the date with the day second. Surly the natural sequence is month, day, year.?

Nope.  Knowing the month first helps keep things in logical order.  If that is not satisfactory for you then you can always use Star Date.