Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentFood Service · 1 month ago

Do people generally think of construction workers as being unskilled and poor?

I'm asking this because when I tell people (this applies to white collar workers) I work in civil construction, they often ask me if I plan on going to college or what I plan to do next for a career. They don't know what to say when I tell them this is my career. The last time I crossed the border the crossing guard asked me where I got the money to afford my truck. He asked this right after I said I work in construction. I drive a 2019 fully loaded F150. On another occasion I was asking a friend for advice on buying a house. Right away he said you can't afford a house in this city on an average/lower income. I never talk about my finances so no one knows I make over $40/hr and cleared $120k last year with overtime. I splurged on my truck but other than that, I live a very frugal modest lifestyle. People assume I make a low wage. Is this generally how people view construction workers?

I assume laborers arent doing well.  Equipment operators and skilled workers, thats another story entirely.  

• Mike

It depends if you are union or non-union.

There are other types of homes you can live in. Currently I am living in a house, but I won't be living in house, for the rest of my life. I want to live on water.

I know you can afford to live on water, but I don't know if you have what I have. You would need what I have, so you can live on water, and if I had your $120k then I would be able to move immediately on water. I could probably still move on water even if I had around $30k-$40k.

I am still saving my money, but you already have enough money to be able to live on water. However, maybe you don't have the credentials that I have to be able to live on water.

i do think they re poor and I do not see how can anyone pay u 40 bucks an hour. u re lying. u may charge 40 buck an hour if u are an independent constructor, but then u will have to pay taxes and insurances and all nine yards, so u will have far less than 40 an hour left

• Kevin1 month agoReport

You can't even spell. Obviously you'll never make $40/hr

There's lots of ignorance in the world. In twenty years, a maintenance electrician will be making a lot more money than a college graduate because no one is training to be a maintenance electrician. You can run a company without a vice president but you cannot run it without a maintenance electrician.

I've never thought of builders, plumbers and electricians as poor but not everyone on site is skilled, jobbers, labourers and banksmen are not rich.

i dont think of them that way

• Judy

Some people do. Many know better than that.

Yes. To many, blue collar= stupid and poor.