Are managers not suppost to work?

I work as a manager and like to help my workers when I can. I was treaded badly as a worker so now I try to treat everyone with respect, and consideration. I just got in trouble for helping them out. They told me I'm not delegating enough, and that I'm making employees lazy. I do delegate, and just try to help once I see they need the help. Overall I just try to make things run smoothly. Well I asked what my manager would like me to do with the extra time I would have if I didn't help or get involve. She didn't have an answer. She basically just wants me to do nothing!! I love to work, I'm having a hard time not doing much. In the past she has made comments like tone it down a little bit because your making me look bad. Now I would like to know if I'm really doing my job wrong or she just doesn't want to look bad. She wants to treat everyone like they are replaceable, but I think employees are a big part of the company and need to be consider. Maybe I don't know how being a manager is any suggestions of what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you for the answers, it really made me see things in a different way. I started to delegate more as of today, and well things are not as perfect but I can see how it will help employees grow.

Favorite Answer

No, managers are not supposed to "work." Mangers are supposed to train and manage employees to work, and that requires delegation.

It sounds like you haven't had any formal management training. Most promotions to "manager" involves a little increase in pay and zero management training. Get the training yourself. There are plenty of management training seminars out there that will be in a metro area near you.

• Paul2 months agoReport

Have weekly meetings with each employee. Find out what their definition of success is and then meld it with your definition of success. I was taught to do that by a manager guru and it was amazing how fast the work product and workplace turned around. Everybody invested in everyone's success.

Managers tend to do all the work. I was an assistant manager of a grocery store at 22. I was never above anything. I would just fill in where help was needed. Short on baggers for the day? I would be bagging groceries. The floor needs mopping and no one can do it? I did it. 

I agree with most comments here. It is good to feel empathy for your workers but as they say "no good deed goes unpunished". You'll eventually get workers that will take advantage and you will end up burning yourself out doing your job and their job too.

Also the common myth is that to be a success one has to become a manager. Management is not for everyone. Some people are not comfortable with it, dealing with people issues, giving constructive feedback, or even disciplining employees. I have met many people that went back to being a regular worker (individual contributor) and were much happy and productive. What good is the extra pay, if you are stressed out to point of health problems or deal with increased legal liabilities?

If you like management then do get some training. It should make you a better manager. Or maybe you were just promoted too quickly. I think some people may be good managers if they just had more experience before taking on the management role.    

Managers are supposed to "manage". If you prefer doing the work, tell your manager that you want a demotion because you are not happy in management.

If you are managing minimum wage people (or around there), they dont want to waste your time doing that work.  Train them, keep an eye on them, etc. 

If you are stepping up to help when things get rough, thats fine.  If you are doing their job because they arent that good at it...thats another story entirely. 

• Eva

You sound like the kind of manager I would want to work for. I've never asked my team to do something I wasn't willing to do. As long as they don't start looking at you as their friend and they respect you, you're doing fine.

• Dragon2 months agoReport

Thank you, yes I thought the same never expect something you can't do.

i dont see anything wrong with helping them out

• DEBS

Managing a team means helping out from time to time.  It should be a learning experience for the employees when you do need to help or it is because of staffing/volume issues.  You don't leave your employees out to dry.  That said, there is a line where you can do too much.  And, yes, you're likely making your manager look bad or at least concerned about looking bad.

The purpose of a manager is to ensure that the work gets done. Usually that means by using the staff to get the job done, even when the manager can do the job better and faster.

To do that, the manager has to ensure that the employees have the tools -- which includes proper training. With the proper training and tools, ALL employees (including the manager) are replaceable, which is as it should be. (The best manager I ever had and that I tried to emulate had a rule: any staff member who becomes irreplaceable must be fired or moved to a new job/position.)

But, by the sound of things, you're micromanaging the staff under you. That makes you a very poor manager!

Your manager is the one who decides whether you are doing your job appropriately or not.

Your manager sounds like a boob.

You are underutilized and underappreciated.

• Iam

Your job now is NOT to do the work, but to use your experience to show / tell your team how to do better. They will not do it better if you do it for them, you need to "lead" and through encouragemnet / example get them to do it better themselves. That is why you have been promoted, to make the whole team better. So if a person is struggling, do NOT do it for them, tell them how you managed to do it without struggling, how to do it better. Maybe watch and encourage / coach, but NOT do it yourself,