Can we stop compressing audio file now, because now we have high speed internet and big hard disk, and big thumb drive.?

15 years ago, our internet speed is 1mb/s now our internet speed is 300mb/s some even 800mb/s.

15 years ago, our computer storage (hard drive ) is about 250MB, but now our computer hard disk is at least 1TB, some even 2TB or 3TB or more.

15 years ago, our thumb drive is only 2GB, now our thumb drive is at least 32GB.

CD audio disc is 700MB can store about 70 to 80 minutes audio (un-compress).

Even the DVD-audio (double layer disc) has about 8.5GB, also store about 70 to 80 minutes audio (un-compress too).

SACD is recorded on DVD disc, and it utilise one layer only that is 4.7GB and can accommodate separate stereo and six-channel mixes of 100 minutes each.

• chorle

No, because you still only have so much room on your MP3 player or phone and even less room in an email attachment. 

I do think there has been a move to higher bit-rate recordings for purchased music files but the audio dramas, audio books, and chatty podcasts I listen to don't need the increased fidelity  

No one is going to make compressing audio illegal, 

so have fun convincing those responsible to stop doing it. 

You can choose your sources to avoid compressed media.

as I have done all along. 

Uncompressed audio is about 80mb/min.

320mb for an average song. A 32gb thumb drive may hold an entire album.

Lossless compressed file formats like FLAC are an excellent compromise between sound quality and space.

The vast majority of listeners do not use audiophile equipment nor care about such quality.

There are services that supposedly offer uncompressed audio, but I don't know of many. I think Tidal is one of them. But regardless, there are still plenty of people that have very slow speeds. There are a few very small towns about 40 minutes from where I live in Nor Cal that can only get up to around 768Kbps-1.5Mbps. The local provider considers that extremely "fast".

• ioerr

no i want more stuff